Tiffin vs westminster?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sham7490

Tiffin vs westminster?

Post by sham7490 »

Hello everyone, My son is currently in year 6 and he has been offered a 13+ entry at Westminster school as well as Tiffin school. I still haven't decide which school we should go for. One side, my son is not happy in his prep school and he would prefer to go to Tiffin to leave his current school and on the other hand Westminster is not something that we could easily miss. I would appreciate if you could share me your thoughts, am very confused :roll: :cry:
mad?

Re: Tiffin vs westminster?

Post by mad? »

Hello Pani6161. I suspect the advice will be the same as when you asked this question (or very similar) in April here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=46720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please decide quickly for the sake of others on the waiting lists of both schools. Have you lost the Westminster deposit already?
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Go to Tiffin. A fresh start with lots of new opportunities.

The right school is not the most well known one, it is the one where your ds will be happy and do well. DG
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Tiffin will be best for him I'm sure.
Loopy
sham7490

Post by sham7490 »

Thanks everyone. Daogroupie do you have/had any child at Tiffin?
workingmom

Post by workingmom »

Perhaps asking something which is widely known.

How can a child be elligible for a place in Tiffins (exam held when one is 11+) and elligible for a place for 13+ seat ?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Pani6161 wrote:Hello everyone, My son is currently in year 6 and he has been offered a 13+ entry at Westminster school as well as Tiffin school. I still haven't decide which school we should go for. One side, my son is not happy in his prep school and he would prefer to go to Tiffin to leave his current school and on the other hand Westminster is not something that we could easily miss. I would appreciate if you could share me your thoughts, am very confused :roll: :cry:
You already got lot of advise when you raised this query before. If you are not looking for bursary at Westminster and can afford the fees there, then simply change the current Prep school and vacate Tiffin place. No point in holding that place when you may already be liable to pay the prep fee for next quarter as well. Hope you won't delay the decision till Seotember.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

workingmom wrote:Perhaps asking something which is widely known.

How can a child be elligible for a place in Tiffins (exam held when one is 11+) and elligible for a place for 13+ seat ?
Several of the independent schools with a formal point of entry at 13+ have a pre-test during year 6.

https://www.westminster.org.uk/admissions/13-entry
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sham7490

Post by sham7490 »

tiffinboys I appreciate your advice but if look at my previouse thread properly, you would realized that is a different question. that was about if its possible to prepare a child for common entrance while he is at Tiffin or not. I think people have right to take their time and think properly about their children future and perhaps open as many new topics as they want in this forum without asking anyone's permission. My son tried really hard and he could secure these places for himself that's why I am asking people to give advice to make the best decision as possible for my child.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Pani6161 wrote:I think people have right to take their time and think properly about their children future and perhaps open as many new topics as they want in this forum without asking anyone's permission. My son tried really hard and he could secure these places for himself that's why I am asking people to give advice to make the best decision as possible for my child.
Pani I am out of your area and I have a DD and not a DS but a word of advice that is meant to come across kindly. You are coming across as someone now with a sense of supreme entitlement that will not endear you to the lovely knowledgeable community that is on this forum. You mention your son having got places of his own ability - congratulations but one of the schools is out of the financial reach of the vast majority of the population so please have some sensitivity. It can be very upsetting for some families to get a late place at a grammar school and miss out on the important bonding sessions like induction days as someone wants to hold onto a couple of places just in case. 93% of the U.K's parents can only hold one place. Your son has worked hard (as have many other DCs) but it can be galling to rub their noses in it. People are very willing to help and they have helped me in the past and my DD now has her place and I hope to help others.

As you know, without telling, your son's happiness is paramount. Talk to the experts and the private educational placement companies and I am sure they can advise. I know of a boy who joined Bickley Park if that is at all in travel distance to you for just a couple of years pre-joining Dulwich at 13 so there are places in other preps. Just please don't continue to be insensitive and disabuse people (tiffinboys is a fount of knowledge on this site) who are genuinely trying to help you make a decision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now