Scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
please, help

Scholarships

Post by please, help »

My child will soon be assessed for scholarships in sport and art. Could you give us any tips or advice on how to do our best, please. The school my child is applying for is excellent, but our hope is on scholarships. Otherwise we can never afford the fees. My child really wants to go there. He can draw really well, everybody comments about his pictures. And he has a very sporty build. But the problem is he doesn't attend any after school clubs. So I guess we have to prepare a sports performance - gymnastics and dance are also allowed. What is the best way to do it? As for art - a portfolio of work. But what is the best to include to impress? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Has the school in question not told you what they are looking for? My son is applying for a sports scholarship at an independent school. I've no experience of private education and can't claim to know anything about scholarships. However, we've been told that, in addition to sitting the entrance exam he will need to attend a sports assessment morning, at which he will need to be able to demonstrate the following:

- An ability and potential in at least 2 of the 3 major sports offered by the school (rugby, football and cricket for boys and netball, hockey and rounders for girls).
- a level of fitness appropriate for an elite sports performer
- enthusiasm and high qualities of sportsmanship
- good swimming ability

He will be tested on a range of sports but has been asked to nominate his favourite so they can concentrate on that.

We were also asked to give the names of two referees who could comment on his sporting achievements (we've given his rugby and cricket coaches) and list which clubs he plays for and whether or not he's played for the county/district etc.

Obviously different schools will have different requirements but this might give you an idea of what to expect. The school we're interested in doesn't offer art scholarships, but they do music and I remember the head saying you'd need to be about grade 4 to stand a chance.

Good luck.
please, help

Post by please, help »

Thanks, Bexley Mum 2. Like you I have no experience in private education. They didn't say much about what they are looking for. For sports you can choose 2 activities. There will be an assessment of attainment and potential, and also fitness on the assessment day. The candidates are asked to display their talent and skills in both chosen and set activities.
For art - they want to see several pieces of work of different range to show ability and enthusiasm. Also a task to complete will be given on the day.
In addition to these the child needs to do well in the exam.
I was just thinking - does my son stand a chance if he is not involved in any clubs. And also are there any tips for him? Especially - how can he demonstrate his skills for sports. Should we prepare a small demonstration/ performance? If yes, for how long? I don't want him to go unprepared and stand without knowing what to do. Thanks.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Oh I wish I could offer you some advice! Hopefully over the next day or two others with more experience of this sort of thing will pick up your post.

When we went round the school we're interested in I cornered one of the PE teachers and quized him about what sort of thing they would be looking for when awarding sports scholarships. I'm sure any school will be looking at potential but, without wanting to sound pessimistic, I would think that they would wonder why, if your son is interested in sport, he doesn't do any in his spare time. Is there a reason for this that you could put forward? I know it's difficult for parents who work full-time to get their children to matches and clubs.

I wonder if it would be possible for you to speak to someone in the games department and ask what sort of thing they might be looking for? Or the bursar (I've spoken to the bursar at the school we're looking at and she has been quite helpful about what is required). Or, you could post the name of the school on this forum and see if anyone has direct experience to offer?

Post by Guest »

The sports assessment will probably include a joint assessment session with the other children applying for sports scholarships. I would expect your son to be told what to do (eg Dribble this ball between those posts. Run round the track etc) rather than being expected to have prepared a demonstration. He may also have to show that he can work with other children in a team situation.

Most schools will probably be expecting to see evidence of sporting achievements (eg certificates, support from team coaches); for some schools this needs to be at least at county standard, not just for school teams. It does depend on the school though; if they are undersubscribed they may offer scholarships to any child of reasonable ability who would otherwise not afford a place. After all, half fees may be better than none. At the other end of the scale are schools which will only be awarding sports scholarships to junior internationals (I know of one such school this year).

As far as art scholarships are concerned, children may be asked to bring in a portfolio of work. But you should be told in advance.
guestsport

Post by guestsport »

Can you get any support from his current school? Does he play in any school teams? Has he recieved any recognition - awards / sports day places.....?