QE vs Westminster

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

thisisnuts

Re: QE vs Westminster

Post by thisisnuts »

piggys wrote:Well according to today's Guardian, it's PPE at Oxford that runs the country anyway so all those parents allegedly forcing their poor sons into maths and science are barking up the wrong tree :lol:. I have started a thread about it as I'm interested in people's thoughts.
And there, tying back to the title of this thread, you have the real difference between QE and Westminster! Far more important than science provision.

The QE parent body is largely 1st and 2nd generation immigrants, looking to establish or build upon their family base in this country. Their ambitions for their DSs probably don't stretch to thoughts of running the country

Westminster, on the other hand, probably has some boys from families that have been here for a millennium or two, who do dream of working in the crumbling palace across the river.

Mind you, when they get there, they probably get trampled by the stampede of Old Etonians!
CuriousSquid

Post by CuriousSquid »

thisisnuts wrote:
piggys wrote: Westminster, on the other hand, probably has some boys from families that have been here for a millennium or two, who do dream of working in the crumbling palace across the river.
From my actual experience recently, It is evident that, for the boys who have been offered a place, their family background of these boys have not been considered.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

CuriousSquid wrote:From my actual experience recently, It is evident that, for the boys who have been offered a place, their family background of these boys have not been considered.
I'm sure that's the case, but schools can only choose from people who actually apply.

My point is that at QE, the ambition of the vast majority of parents is for their sons to get good grades, a good uni and then a good job. The school does an excellent job in satisfying these ambitions.

Yes, there will be children of 1st/2nd generation immigrants at Westminster, and there are definitely boys on bursaries. But there are also children of the rich and powerful who have a different set of ambitions. I assume that some of this would rub off on classmates from less rich and powerful backgrounds, opening their eyes to opportunities beyond "the professions".
CuriousSquid

Post by CuriousSquid »

thisisnuts wrote:I assume that some of this would rub off on classmates from less rich and powerful backgrounds, opening their eyes to opportunities beyond "the professions".
thisisnuts, your visions might be true or not, or these so called opportunities beyond (...) might be realized by bright young minds in any school, we cannot say. But I was more interested in how/what these schools offer beyond the influence of affluence.
I am thankful to you and all the other posters here who have posted their valuable experience and wisdom. It has certainly helped us reach a decision. And thanks to this forum - a cool modern day debating platform for keyboard warriors.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thisisnuts wrote::.

Westminster, on the other hand, probably has some boys from families that have been here for a millennium or two, who do dream of working in the crumbling palace across the river.
Lambeth?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

ToadMum wrote:
thisisnuts wrote::.

Lambeth?
Well I seem to remember James Runcie went to Westminster whilst living with his father in the crumbling palace across the river :wink:
mad?
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Ooops, my mistake

Crumbling palace across the ROAD.
(one crumbling palace is much like another - that's my excuse anyway!)

Not sure many current Wets have a great ambition to reside at Lambeth Palace, although the rooms are surely more spacious than the flat at 10 Downing Street.
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

This is all too familiar debate/discussion/comparison we keep having each year by numerous parents almost in every regions.

Most often the two schools that are subjects of such comparisons are very close in terms of academic performance.

Hence, the final decision depends on whether a family is more comfortable with state education/environment or private education/environment, not much on academics.

I think the debate should be more generalised as Grammar/State VS Indie/Private.

So, there is not much comparison between QE and Westminster.
You need to decide whether you prefer state environment or private environ for your child to grow up in.
I understand the difference is not as stark as it once used to be due to mobility in both ways, but still some differences in two styles and environments do remain.
If you do prefer the private environment then Westminster is comparable with St Paul's or City of London or Eton or Dulwich.
Why even waste your time? Make it easier for yourself and for some other parents waiting anxiously on QE wait list who might not have such a choice.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...and GuidingStar, (with all due respect to whomever started this post or has asked equivalent questions), moreoften than not, the questioner has already made their decision but they just want an outlet to "shout from the rooftops" that their DC has been made an offer by both schools - colloquially referred to as "bragging rights". It is often nothing about actually wanting an answer....
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:...and GuidingStar, (with all due respect to whomever started this post or has asked equivalent questions), moreoften than not, the questioner has already made their decision but they just want an outlet to "shout from the rooftops" that their DC has been made an offer by both schools - colloquially referred to as "bragging rights". It is often nothing about actually wanting an answer....
That's rather cynical....do you know the questioner personally?

I also had a "Selective Grammar v Indie" situation, the dilemma was real! I posted about it here to get some thoughts, as I have noted have others.

No bragging rights at all, no one knows me here....having 2 amazing options was something that gave me sleepless nights!
Last edited by Sla212 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now