Art scholarship for year 7 entry

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muggles

Art scholarship for year 7 entry

Post by Muggles »

I hope I can get some guidance here.

DD enjoys art and she gets very good feedback from her teacher. Teacher always tells me that DD has a very keen eye in art and produces some "amazing" art work. Looking forward to Year 7 entry next September, I am now wondering whether it is worth considering applying for an art scholarship. I understand that the expectation is to study Art at GCSE and possibly A Level.

Would anyone have any idea as to just how good the student needs to be? I'm guessing that they would need to know things like artists, styles, types of art materials used but can anyone who has been in a similar situation or indeed know more than I do (I don't think that will be hard) please let me know?

Grateful as ever.
mad?

Re: Art scholarship for year 7 entry

Post by mad? »

Muggles wrote: Looking forward to Year 7 entry next September, I am now wondering whether it is worth considering applying for an art scholarship. I understand that the expectation is to study Art at GCSE and possibly A Level.
No direct experience here but it is always worth considering, nothing ventured nothing gained! Most schools will provide an indication of what might be required so do consider if you feel this will place an unnecessary burden on DC, both pre and post 11+. Also, bear in mind that the financial aspect of an art scholarship is usually not significant so consider why you might want to apply. And finally, IME lots of London preps set great stall by how many scholarships their DC get and prepare them accordingly. I'm sure the schools would love to see applicants who have applied on the basis of a lifelong love of art, as opposed to their prep school art teacher giving them the nod, but, depending on where you are applying from, be aware that you will be up against the over prepared, much like the 11+ in general I guess! Good luck :)
mad?
Bibliovore

Post by Bibliovore »

DD sat for two Art scholarships (and was awarded by both schools)

The type of tests does vary, so you need to check with each school or with someone who has experience of a DC taking it. Some do ask theoretical questions about Art styles etc, but not the ones DD sat for (I think it’s comparatively are) In most cases you will be required to present a portfolio of, say ,up to a dozen pieces. Some schools use this as a vetting stage, with only the selected few then invited to an actual drawing test, others will invite on the basis of school report and how well you did in the entrance exam (so you need to have passed that before getting an invite).

Drawing tests are normally some form of still life, one or two pieces, and last up to three hours. Generally these seem to be using pencils, but that’s not to rule out being required to use watercolour or another medium if the school saw fit. Someone from the art department would also have a 5 or 10 minute chat with the candidate, probably going through the portfolio, asking about specific pieces and possibly what kind of art interests the DC (and art styles might come in here).

For the portfolio a range of media is going to be best – not just pencil sketches, but some watercolour, acrylics, photos of 3D work etc. Label each piece to show what it actually is. If possible show stages of development of an art project. Anything in fact to show that your DC doesn’t just do regulation school still life drawings and has a real love of art! A range of themes – landscape, portrait, still life, even abstract, is good. Do present the portfolio well – it’s worth investing in a proper one if you are serious. I saw a number of DDs from the same school all with plastic wallets which didn’t separate out each piece and can’t have done them justice.

Art scholarships don’t tend to be as much as academic scholarships (sometimes only 5% of fees).

There will be competition, but it is possible. DD doesn’t even have a full-time art teacher at her school, so all the art was done at home, external workshops, classes etc.
CheerLeader2017

Post by CheerLeader2017 »

@Bibliovore has summarised the process very accurately. In our case, DD1 was also fortunate enough to be offered two Art scholarships. The feedback from your teacher is very positive and I would encourage you to apply. DD1 found preparing her portfolio fun as it was a gradual build up, an exploration of topics that were personal to her, a combination of study work and final pieces. She started in the October half term, prior to January portfolio submission. Don't forget that in addition to drawing/painting/building 3D sculptures etc. you'll also be preparing for common entrance exams, which you have to pass well, so it is very full on. In terms of value of scholarship, it is worth looking around schools as this can range from 0-50% of fees. An important point to also consider is that bursaries are normally only offered to scholarship students, schools do not always highlight this caveat. Even if the scholarship value is 5% it can potentially equate to up to 100% of fees when topped up with a means tested bursary. I would also say, demands on art scholars is significantly less in comparison to choristers or music scholars, DS has very limited extra time at school, then again he loves music and would prefer to do nothing else. Good luck!
Muggles

Post by Muggles »

Thank you all for such great and interesting advice.

Bibliovore, you have given some very good practical advice about what I need to consider. I will definitely talk to DD's art teacher to get some realistic answers to my questions. Thank you for advising that it would be worth investing in a proper portfolio. I think you are right about the amount of the scholarship in that it is only around 5-10% but it may be worth it.

Mad?, you are absolutely right in that nothing ventured nothing gained so hopefully we can work now towards creating a portfolio if her art teacher thinks she has a chance.

CheerLeader2017 some very good advice here too and I didn't know about bursaries are usually offered to a scholarship. Thank you for your positive words about DD's teacher's feedback being very positive. It will be quite full on - you are absolutely right but I feel we need to give her this chance. DD also plays piano but isn't at the grade expected for a music scholarship and I also feel that it is a different type of pressure when related to music. I feel art is a great way of expressing oneself and something that is also very relaxing.

Thank you all again - some invaluable advice here for which I am grateful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now