Phone calls from NLCS to families without offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Phone calls from NLCS to families without offers

Post by Daogroupie »

Yesterday shortly after the deadline for accepting the offer a family I know of received a phone call from NLCS.

They were on the waiting list but had not been proactive about it at all as they were more interested in HABS.

They were offered a place and told that they had to make their mind up on the spot with no chance to talk to the student who was at school.

They declined the offer.

Today another family I know of who were not on the waiting list and had not contacted NLCS as they were more interested in HABS got a phone call from NLCS offering them a place.

When they pointed out they had not been put on the waiting list they were told that there had been a "mess up" and not enough students had been put on the waiting list so they were having to call around the students who had been interviewed but not given a place.

Any other families who didn't get an offer from NLCS get one of these phone calls?

Have more than expected dds taken HBS, DAO, Habs, St Albans or St Helens instead of NLCS? DG
AML

Re: Phone calls from NLCS to families without offers

Post by AML »

Does this suggest many have turned down NLCS this year?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have now heard of another family who were on the waiting list and got a call late Friday offering them a place.

This was before the Monday deadline for accepting offers.

So NLCS started calling their waiting list before the deadline.

This seems to indicate that there was already a reduction in the amount of acceptances they were receiving. DG
AML

Post by AML »

Yes my friend's DD got a phone call on Thursday (she was on waiting list) and they accepted quickly. They also had offers from Habs, scholarship for St Helens.
11plusparent2016

Post by 11plusparent2016 »

DG, you are right, we have accepted HBS and declined HABS, NLCS & St Helens
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Based purely on personal conversations with prospective parents of DD's who had an NLCS offer, I can say that there were a significant number of parents who had no intention of taking up a place at NLCS if HBS was going to offer. I have a theory (with anecdotal evidence and conversations only) that the demographics are somehow changing in a way that will cause NLCS, Habs and others to reconsider the number of offers and waiting list size to take account of this change.

The competition for HBS places seems to be increasing with only the very most academic achieving offers. The prize is an entry to a top academic school with zero fees. The HBS intake will have an increasingly high standard of English and mathematics each year. Could the ethnic mix and the related ethos of hard work and dedication be a factor?
has2bme

Post by has2bme »

Additional point of view I have heard through conversations it seems apparent that times and views are changing of prospective parents and though without doubt both NLCS, Habs etc are between the very best independent schools schools in the country for achieving high grades at alevels (hence University entrance) and gcse. Parents are placing far greater emphasis on other factors such as demographics etc (as can be read on previous posts on the forum) . Also it seems that other schools in their locale are closing the gap when it comes to educational attainment, extra curricular opportunities, transport links etc Basically providing a greater choice for Parents that previously otherwise would have only seen NLCS or HABs as their 'top' choices.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

has2bme wrote: Also it seems that other schools in their locale are closing the gap when it comes to educational attainment, extra curricular opportunities, transport links etc Basically providing a greater choice for Parents that previously otherwise would have only seen NLCS or HABs as their 'top' choices.
I think I agree with this.

So City Girls over-offered and NLCS under-offered! :lol:
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

And Channing over offered as well.
dadto4

Post by dadto4 »

My DD was on the WL for Habs, which was our first choice. When we enquired about the WL we were told that it was 'very short', we had also informed the school that it was our first choice. We received an email on Monday stating that they could not offer my DD a place as all the places were filled and they didn't go to the WL in the end.

My DD is very upset as she knew many girls who had turned down Habs and a few who were leaving in year 6, leading her to believe she may be offered a place if the WL was that short.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now