Tonbridge School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elbowroom

Tonbridge School

Post by Elbowroom »

Been reading on here for a few weeks but I'm new to posting. Not much said about this school - aside from now and again people mentioning it being sporty - despite it being up there in the academic rankings. Has anyone seriously considered it? Does anyone know it directly? Academics are impressive but trying to work out whether it really does also have strong music and arts and what the all-boy culture/ feel is like day to day at this school. Any insights much appreciated. Thank you.
Elbowroom

Re: Tonbridge School

Post by Elbowroom »

247 views on this but no replies! :( - Please, any thoughts or insights from current or recent parents or people who know boys or why people nearly went but didn't or why it never made your shortlist, locals view of how Tonbridge boys behave etc. It really would be much appreciated. You just can't get that from open days Thank you :wink:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Don't worry! Some of those views are from bots, rather than real people!

I believe from comments you have made on another thread that you are comparing Tonbridge and another GS? Really, you just need to make a decision based on your knowledge of your child and all the things that attracted you to both the schools when you started looking - assumedly over a year ago - and applied to them back in October, so you can release the "spare" position for another lucky child to make use of. This is particularly relevant if you are rejecting the GS place as it may well go to someone who cannot afford the private education option.

The good news is that you are comparing two good schools so you will not be making a "bad" choice! Choose the one that looked like the best fit for your son, his interests and where you felt comfortable.
Elbowroom

Post by Elbowroom »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Don't worry! Some of those views are from bots, rather than real people!

I believe from comments you have made on another thread that you are comparing Tonbridge and another GS? Really, you just need to make a decision based on your knowledge of your child and all the things that attracted you to both the schools when you started looking - assumedly over a year ago - and applied to them back in October, so you can release the "spare" position for another lucky child to make use of. This is particularly relevant if you are rejecting the GS place as it may well go to someone who cannot afford the private education option.

The good news is that you are comparing two good schools so you will not be making a "bad" choice! Choose the one that looked like the best fit for your son, his interests and where you felt comfortable.
Thanks KenyanCowgirl - Ah- i didn't know about the bots! Ha ha.

Yes you are right - I have posted elsewhere, two good schools is great news and I understand how fortunate my DS is...

TBH They both seem a great fit, accommodate interests, make us feel comfortable etc... I'm afraid I don't think it's about releasing places and who can afford what though.

Of course - like the rest of the nation - we didn't know whether the GS was an option until 1.3.17, so I'm afraid though ditherers we may be, for us that means very little time to make a choice - despite or maybe because they are both being great and very very similar schools. :)

I probably should have done it earlier - but the reason I am posting is that I know a lot more direct 'warts and all' IYSWIM about the GS (including people leaving for independents in year 9 - why? :| ) and so I wanted to try and level the playing field in the decision process.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I suspect that the parents accept both Tonbridge and the GS with Tonbridge being the end game. They I suspect just use the GS for years 7 and 8 so that they don't have to pay prep school fees for those years. No direct knowledge but I can imagine it happening.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Twinkle wrote:I suspect that the parents accept both Tonbridge and the GS with Tonbridge being the end game. They I suspect just use the GS for years 7 and 8 so that they don't have to pay prep school fees for those years. No direct knowledge but I can imagine it happening.
Isn't the process for 13+ entry different from that for 11+ entry at Tonbridge, though? Surely you can't just accept Tonbridge at this stage, but say, Thanks for the place - see you in 2019'? Or have I misunderstood something?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Elbowroom

Post by Elbowroom »

That's what you have to do. Test in Year 6. Offer of a place and then start in year 9....
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

As far as I am aware, entry to Tonbridge is at 13+. However I understand that in Year 6 ( following some testing) some boys get a green light that they will get a place at 13 if they do sufficiently well in the Common Entrance. I imagine it is perfectly possible to sit the common entrance while attending a GS. Anyhow this is all speculation on my part as to the reasons why boys may leave a GS and go to Tonbridge at 13. There of course maybe others such as -boy doesn't like class size at GS, boy not coping at GS, parents need a boarding school , parents think on reflection that opportunities / networking opportunities /facilities etc at Tonbridge are better ). For my own part I have not come across any boys swapping from a GS to Tonbridge at 13. But I imagine that it does happen.
Elbowroom

Post by Elbowroom »

Thanks Twinkle - yes I guess could be for all those reasons and more... :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

It does happen, I know of at least one boy who moved from GS to independent education in year 9.

I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons of each school and see the best fit for your DS. Don't just consider the academics - he will get a great education at either school, or the money involved as I'm assuming if you are this far down the line you have already given the fees close consideration. It's the other things like Saturday school, longer school days, longer holidays, boarding etc etc anything and everything that will impact on your life as a family and any siblings.

Both my DS's have friends at both Judd and Tonbridge and all of them are very nice rounded young men. It's a nice decision to have to make.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now