prep

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Re: CLSG prep

Post by Middlesexmum »

renaborison - I am not familiar with the school but I have this to say: trust your instincts on this one and from reading your posts, your instincts are saying no.

You are listing a whole host of reasons why not to send her - long commute, how will she get home if she stays late, tiredness, lots of homework after a long journey, possibility of no local friends.

Seven is still really little. She is clearly a bright girl and happy where she is now. I know you've said you wouldn't move her again at 11 but who knows what might happen? The school might not be right for her, she might want to move etc. There might be a fantastic school more local to you at secondary level but you push it aside because you don't want to move her again. There is much more choice at 11, don't close any doors yet.

I know it's tempting because it's City and has a fantastic reputation, although there are clearly mixed reports about the teaching in the prep. And people will tell you you should take the opportunity and children get used to the journey. But really - as a mum rather than an educator - could you really make your little girl endure a long commute at seven years of age?

You can't compare children in daycare to this. Daycare isn't ideal but often there is no choice for working parents. Here you have a choice, please make it a sensible one.
Ibbotson

Post by Ibbotson »

I agree with the others that the commute is too much for a 7 year old. IME the 11+ is easier to pass than the 7+, at least for state school kids. Almost all those in Yr6 who sat for private in DD's school got offers, particularly for girls. Wait a few years and try again then, but rest assured that she is already on track and so should be fine.

MrsChips, I've just had a N London DD, and suggest you look at the usual suspects - Channing, South Hampstead, Francis Holland as well as City, Highgate etc. I know that you mean by Highgate being a bit alpha. While I know several down-to-earth parents of kids there, on the Open Day DD found it a bit cold and so wasn't keen.

Of the others, FH is lovely and very welcoming. They have limited facilities but really make the most of them. Channing is also good - some impressive results and artwork, though not as much sport as DD would have liked. However, we both loved South Hampstead which is where she is going. The new building gives so much light even on a grey day; it really raises the spirits. The atmosphere seemed to combine the unpretentiousness and academic air of City, but without the urban intensity, and there appeared a real buzz around extra-curricular. If you are near the Overground - Highbury/Islington or Gospel Oak - then the journey is very easy.
tonic_water

Post by tonic_water »

MrsChips wrote:
I have thought about Forest as a possibility but I worry about how far away it is (any N1/N5/N7 parents care to reassure?).
Forest run several buses from North London. There are loads of Forest kids who come in from Islington way including several in the prep school:

https://www.forest.org.uk/senior-school ... s-service/
School Bus FS5 Angel Islington, Highbury, Hackney Downs
School Bus FS6 Newington Green, Hackney Central, Clapton
School Bus FS7 Arsenal, Stoke Newington, Clapton
School Bus FS8 Bounds Green, Crouch End, Hornsey

I've got two daughters in Forest prep. The older one - year 6 - was offered a senior school place at CLSG with a music "scholarship", but we declined. After getting caught in a tube strike on our way back from interview/audition day we decided that the daily journey would be a "no thanks".

If you're worried about prep school children getting the bus, I understand that it generally works quite well. One of my daughter's friends used to get the bus from Islington in Year 3. The older children used to very much take her under their wing. One time the bus was hugely early to her stop and the parents weren't waiting there and were running late anyway so three of the older children (years 12 and 13) got off and waited with her to make sure she was OK.
MrsChips

Re: prep

Post by MrsChips »

Thank you so much for all these suggestions re. girls' schools on the mysteriously name-changed thread. Much appreciated.

I'm really hoping that once we get nearer to deciding, the choice will become easier. Generally I find it hard because you're looking round schools with absolutely no idea as to whether your child will get in and ultimately there's not that much choice anyway.
hermanmunster

Re: prep

Post by hermanmunster »

I have locked this thread as unfortunately it no longer makes sense. Some people have decided to delete key posts in it, this is disappointing as other forum members have spent time giving advice"