prep

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
renaborison

prep

Post by renaborison »

deleted
Last edited by renaborison on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daogroupie

Re: CLSG prep

Post by Daogroupie »

I have worked very closely in the last year with two girls from the prep, one in Y5 and one in Y6.

When I started working with the Y6 dd a year ago her Maths was very weak and would not have got her into any state selective.

Her mother knew beforehand it was a problem and told me that parents have repeatedly bought this issue up with the school.

She said all those planning to sit state selectives had hired Maths tutors. Those planning to stay for the Senior school did not need to.

The Y5 dd has the same problem.

So I can confirm that in my experience dds from CLSG prep are not at the expected Maths level at Y5/Y6

Of course this could be a strategy by the school to make sure that they do not lose their preps to HBS or NLCS at 11 plus. DG
renaborison

Post by renaborison »

deleted
Last edited by renaborison on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm sorry, I'm obviously missing something here, but why on earth would you choose to take a 7 year old away from a local school to stand on the Central Line for a total of an hour and a half a day, five days a week, for six weeks or so at a time? I can see that it might seem like an awfully big adventure for the first couple of days, but after that, the poor thing would probably just be exhausted.

Is the school on your own way in to work, or would you be spending three hours a day travelling back and forth?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
renaborison

Post by renaborison »

delete
Last edited by renaborison on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Although I cannot comment on whether CLSG prep is worth the change from your DD's current local school I can comment on commuting on the Central line albeit from the other direction. Of course a door to door commute of 45 minutes will only have one part of the commute on the tube, the rest above ground.
We found commuting home on the Central Line did not include rush hour traffic and getting a seat was simple. Getting to school was more variable. The rush comes in waves. We found leaving home just 5 mins later than desired could make a significant difference in the number of fellow travellers. We also found our fellow commuters were extraordinarily kind to our DD. More often than not she was given a seat if one was needed. Chances were if she was given a seat I too was given one. Of course we never took this for granted.
The Central Line was not our only option for getting into school but was usually the fastest.
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

renaborison wrote: 3) I also heard the majority of girls are from north london, and few from essex/east. You can see this in the map they provide of where the majority of girls come from and it seems its North London
Do you think the girls from east/elsewhere because they are a minority are at a slight disadvantage in terms of friendship groups
When CLSG announced they were leaving the North London Girls School Consortium last year, one of the reasons given was that they felt their catchment was shifting further east. So over time the dominance of N London Girls will probably decline.

renaborison wrote: Husband works next door.
However, lots of children commute in.
She'll be coming home by herself. Is she ready for that?

renaborison wrote: I can't afford to tutor on top of paying the fees
Unfortunately increasingly common in prep schools. Especially if looking to change school at 11+.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

FAC51 wrote:

renaborison wrote: Husband works next door.
However, lots of children commute in.
She'll be coming home by herself. Is she ready for that?

A seven year old? Seriously? :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
renaborison

prep

Post by renaborison »

deleted
Last edited by renaborison on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hi Rena,
You say that your daughter's happiness is the most important thing. She sounds as if her life is rather happy just now, with a local school, local friends who can come over regularly and a summer full of fun. Then you say that this other school (I am not in that area but I gather it carries some prestige) may be a great opportunity for her. To do what? Increase her happiness? I think that is doubtful with this strategy. Seven is still very little and most seven year-olds would not be made any happier by being on the London Underground (or even overground) for the best part of two hours each day; little people tend to prefer to be home nice and early and doing whatever they like to do - relaxing, playing, winding up their siblings etc. My advice would be not to get yourself swayed by a perceived need to get her started on serious academics and grown-up networking, particularly when you have other even littler people to think of. From where I am sitting this looks like a no-brainer.
good luck.

Amber
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now