Start son at independent school's nursery or reception..

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rockster24

Start son at independent school's nursery or reception..

Post by rockster24 »

Hi,

My son is currently at a tradition day nursery and our goal is to send him to independent school.

The dilemma is do we start him at the independent schools nursery or keep him where he is and only enter him at the indy school's reception.

The advantage of the day nursery is obviously that its open all year round/8-6 hours etc. Whereas the indy's nursery is only term time and term hours.

But i'm worried that if we don't get him into the independent setting/mindset from an early age, he may not get into the reception class for the school. As the day nursery he is currently at is all about learn through play/no format setting etc. So it will be a shock to the system to expect him to adapt to this from reception age.

Has anyone else had this dilemma and any thoughts..?

Thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: Start son at independent school's nursery or reception..

Post by Guest55 »

That's what a nursery in any school should be. If the private school is doing anything 'formal' in nursery then run a mile.
ToadMum

Re: Start son at independent school's nursery or reception..

Post by ToadMum »

rockster24 wrote:Hi,

My son is currently at a tradition day nursery and our goal is to send him to independent school.

The dilemma is do we start him at the independent schools nursery or keep him where he is and only enter him at the indy school's reception.

The advantage of the day nursery is obviously that its open all year round/8-6 hours etc. Whereas the indy's nursery is only term time and term hours.

But i'm worried that if we don't get him into the independent setting/mindset from an early age, he may not get into the reception class for the school. As the day nursery he is currently at is all about learn through play/no format setting etc. So it will be a shock to the system to expect him to adapt to this from reception age.

Has anyone else had this dilemma and any thoughts..?

Thanks in advance.
Didn't you find yourself in the same quandary about your daughter last year? What did you decide for her? Has it not worked out as you hoped?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now