Take DD only to see schools we have been accepted for?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsCal

Re: Take DD only to see schools we have been accepted for?

Post by MrsCal »

ToadMum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:How will you know where to put each school on the CAF if she does not look?

You need to see how she interacts with staff - go to an Open Day of your short list not an evening 'show' event.

10 sounds a lot ... how easy is it travel to them?
As scary mum has pointed out, these are independent schools, so my question would be, how would you decide which ones not to waste your registration fee on? What if she (and you) absolutely loathes all the group whichever schools, or one or more of your 'plus a few others'?. Or do you have to shell out before you even get to look round?
You're right. I'm new to this and thought it's one exam, one registration fee :D
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

Guest55 wrote:I was surprised the OP was not even considering any state schools ...
I am, but thought it's irrelevant to my question as there's no entrance test at our local state school, so that will be our backup.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That will be where the CAF comes in as you'll need to apply and also go and visit to check it out. Most people name more than one school as ther's no guarantee of a place at a catchment school.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I think you are applying to too many schools. Even in the competitive North London market, 5 or 6 would be more like it, and to be honest 3 or 4 carefully chosen might be enough. An hour's travel times 2 each day is a lot for a child and may restrict the out of school activities she is able to do. Also you will have to get to school for parents evenings, concerts, trip meetings etc - so distance could be one way to start. Also these schools have different academic profiles and cultures. Tell us where you live and what your child is like and you might get more specific help. Is she at prep school - if so they will surely make suggestions. My DC were at state primaries but the tutor we used had some interesting insights and we also took the DC to an educational consultant in Mill Hill who advised what sort of level they were at academically and where we should be looking. Do you want small and nurturing or top notch academic or excellent sports or music? We took DD to see 4 schools. There was one that she instantly felt at home in and it was obvious to us that for her that was the type of school that would suit her best. Same with DS. I think taking your DD round 14 schools would not only be a mammoth task but she won't be able to compare and will probably get bored!
P.s. Its definitely a separate fee for each school you apply to I'm afraid.
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

Guest55 Still not sure what CAF means :) ... but thanks a lot!
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

Thanks fairyelephant! So 3-4? that makes sense. How do people do this, one top tier, one medium, one backup? Will look at distance, but we're very central so all are similar. Will try to find something 30 mins.

DD is at a prep school YR4, we're waiting for recommendations from our school too.

Have your kids already done the 11+? Where did you decide on in the end?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's the name for the 'form' or application to secondary school - look up on your LA website what the process is. Most are now completed online:

https://www.gov.uk/schools-admissions/applying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

Thanks guest55
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MrsCal wrote:Guest55 Still not sure what CAF means :) ... but thanks a lot!
First place to start, then, is the website of your local authority - look for Secondary School Transfer or some similar section (or just start with a general Web search on 'secondary school transfer <name of local authority>'). cross-posted with Guest55 here, but in leaving this in as I really feel that the importance of doing this right cannot be overemphasised :)

As has already been stated, your local school does not guarantee you a place there, even if you live in its catchment / priority admissions area. Make yourself very familiar with all possible local schools and use as many of your preferences as you can on your CAF. This will reduce the chance that you get no indie offers and are then on March 1st are allocated a state place at the school that no-one else wants either.

Look very carefully at how your DD fits into the admissions criteria for the local state schools - and stick your fingers in your ears and walk away singing 'LA LA LA' very loudly, should another parent or anyone else try to tell you that 'they' have to give you a place at the school you want, if you only put that school and no other on your CAF. Appeals Panels get very, very bored with appellant after appellant who thinks that ignoring the LA's advice on the transfer process, or not bothering to read it in the first place, somehow gives them the right to a place at the school they want.
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

Thanks ToadMum! Makes total sense...