CITY OF LONDON SCHOOL

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
simon

CITY OF LONDON SCHOOL

Post by simon »

Any feedback from your sons for this exam? Mine found the VR challenging but the maths and English not too bad.
SilverGirl

City of London

Post by SilverGirl »

My son thought the maths wasn't too bad, English (not his strongest subject) O.K. - didn't finish reasoning as there was no clock (???) and he didn't take a watch.

Final conclusion: the best of all exams (hmm...)

:?
filbert

Post by filbert »

Thought it worth a reply now :)

My son found it the hardest out of all he has done and this year he's done and passed (as in got to second round or interview) Habs, QE Boys, Mill Hill County, and Latymer. I thought the samples more like an entry at 13 paper. His tutor also thought the samples tough. We, however, got called for music bursary interview yesterday and received the letter of interview for CLSB this morning. So if he did struggle it was on par with what was required this year.

So if anyone knows what the 2 hr interview entails beyond an individual interview and a group one please post away.
SilverGirl

City of London Interview

Post by SilverGirl »

Here I am back again to join the discussion.

Surprisingly, after all, my son has been invited for the interview. It does look challenging though (2 hours all in all) - any experiences to share?

My daughter did the City of London for Girls interview last year which I felt was looking at the psychological profile more than anything else, challenging but lasted only about 20 mins (at least this is how I remember it).

:o
vas

City of London

Post by vas »

My son has been called for an interview too. I was told by another parent that they have been offered a 100% scholarship already. Is this a possibility? From my understanding they hold normal and scholarship interviews and the results are posted in line with other consortium schools. Is anyone aware if they state in the interview letter as a scholarship interview. My letter just invited him for a 2 hr interview/grp discussion.
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

well, i don't know if that's the same "friend" i have, but she told me her son had been for scholarship i/v friday 25/01 as he had come "in the first 15 of all the applicants" and was in running for 100% scholarship. she phoned me up specially to tell me this! ishe hasn't phoned me back to tell me he's been offered one! i think they can and do make those offers but the acceptance dates are the same as for all offers.
my son has bog standard i/v on friday. he is chilled i am V V ANXIOUS!
anyone with experience from last year out there with more info??
vas

city of london

Post by vas »

My only reason for applying to CLS was because of their "generously endowed scholarship". (It is qite a journey from where we live!) However I am little confused to know that they have already had the top interviews. Why fix the interview dates in advance if obviously some are to be called before? Also their website only mentions 50% scholarship and 100% bursary places. Can anyone shed light on this matter. The 100% scholarship I heard about was not first hand infor.
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

i just dont know the whole story, but they have definitely already held scholarship i/v's. only the "rest" are 8/02 and 11/02 it seems. you could always call the school for info you know?

does anyone know how many boys are usually called for i/v for how many places?
apparently 500 boys sat the 11+ exam this year :o
filbert

Post by filbert »

As there is another interview day on Monday I won't post what my son said happened now so it is fair. If it helps he did seem to enjoy the process despite being very nervous before hand, everyone was nice and he came out feeling positive.

Regarding the numbers:-

491 - took the entrance exam (which is a quick way to make £25K for the school :))
200 - got called for interview
72 - will get offers for places
simon

Re: city of london

Post by simon »

[quote="vas"][i]I am little confused to know that they have already had the top interviews.[/i] [/quote]

My son had his interview today. However, some parents whose sons had their interview on Friday came back with the story that a couple of boys had scholarship interviews with the headmaster. This didn't seem to fit with the info that the scholarship interviews had already taken place.

Not a concern for me as I will be very happy if he has earned himself a place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now