Music scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kev

Music scholarships

Post by Kev »

My son may apply for a music scholarship at Highgate or City of London Boys (other North London suggestions welcome!).

I would be interested to hear people's experience of applying for music scholarships
- when were auditions held
- what happened at the audition
- what sort of standard were the children who were called for audition
- what sort of mix of instruments
- what type of child has been succesful gaining a scholarship
- how much the scholarship was worth!

and anything else really - basically I'm trying to figure out whether its worth applying.

Thanks
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Dear Kev. My son has applied for a sports scholarship at Colfe's in South East London and I remember the Head saying that to win a music scholarship children would need to be equivalent to Grade 4 piano. I don't know if that's any help to you but thought I'd pass it on! Obviously schools will vary in their requirements.

When we went to the open day the children were taken off to do things while the Head talked to the parents and he was happy to answer all manner of questions about scholarships and bursaries. Maybe it will be the same at the schools you are interested in.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I'm well outside your area, I'm afraid, and we didn't apply for a music scholarship - mainly because I didn't fancy "encouraging" my daughter to practise enough!

However, we went to scholarship interviews at a local school on Saturday when the music scholarships were also taking place. The youngsters were carrying a range of instruments (only one each!). I noticed at least one alto sax, a violin and an electronic keyboard - complete with stand.

The children all looked pretty nervous when they went in, but they came out smiling - so I assume it wasn't too arduous!
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

My DD will be doing the audition next week so I will let you know how exactly it is like.

The school we are trying requires at least Grade 5 for first instrument (2 contrasting pieces) and additional second instrument (one piece). The audition includes sight reading, aural and interview as well.

We have state grammer place already under belt without any tuition - our family deal is, if she gets either scholarship (academic or music) we will pay for this school! DD was so motivated and tried hard past 6month or so, because she wanted it so much. We will know the academic scholarship result this weekend, before the music audition...

Kind Regards
Marmite
Kev

Post by Kev »

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Marmite, I hope it goes well for you dd. Has she done grade exams?

The schools often seem to give grade 5 standard as a guide, but I'm wondering if they expect different standards on different instruments, eg higher on strings or piano which you can start younger, and lower on woodwind/brass. I suppose I'm worried that although my son will be grade 5 standard when he applies that might be nowhere near good enough because his first instrument is violin.

Any thoughts?!
Kev

Post by Kev »

Bexley Mum 2,

Good luck to your son. None of the schools round our way seem to have sports scholarships.

Kev
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Hi Kev,

My DD passed Grade 5 piano with distinction when she was in Year 5 (started when she was 4years old). She will be playing Grade 6 piece at the audition. Since you need "Grade 5 Theory pass" to apply for Grade 6, she had been (kind of ) stuck but just about sit for the paper this February. Her second instrument is Clarinet which she just passed Grade 4 with distinction (started Sep 05).

Though Piano & Violin are popular, I think they are harder to gain the grades. Whereas woodwinds etc, children start late but progress much quickly as far as I can see.

Also for the audition purpose I heard that people try 'voice' often, again it's quite easy to gain grades if you need second instrument quickly.

Hope it's helps - Kind Regards
Marmite
Kev

Post by Kev »

Marmite,

Wow, she's done really well. I get the impression the schools like orchestral instruments so it's great that shes doing so well on the clarinet in addition to the piano. I would have thought that the fact that she got a DISTINCTION in grade 5 means she must have a good chance.

My son is currently only in year 4 but we have to plan ahead because it seems its very hard to get a place in the selective schools (state or private) without tutoring around here (and I've not decided what I think about that!). He hasn't yet taken any grades but will probably sit grade 4 this year, so it seems reasonable think he will be grade 5+ when he applies. He also plays the piano, but only started that within the last year.

It would be great if you would let us know how your daughter gets on.

Kev