NLC scrapping 11+?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FAC51

Re: NLC scrapping 11+?

Post by FAC51 »

ilelo wrote:Is Cognitive ability same as NVR, so VR & NVR only now?
MedievalBabe wrote:A number of Independents schools have switched to an online 11+ exam which is similar to CEM and GL exams. This sounds as if it is going a similar route and they say it is untutorable...
ToadMum wrote:If they are talking about tests that are already used in schools, doesn't it sound more like CATS?
It sounds like a bit of all of the above.

It basically replicates the computerised pre-test + interview process used by boys' schools to make offers at 11+, for 13+ entry (contingent on final Common entrance result). Although many of the boys' schools will include short written exercises with the interview.

Much less (maybe zero) marking of written papers, much more time spent interviewing. Allowing schools to pick candidates most suited to the school - my italics!

I'm sure the suitability criteria will be many and varied!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

FAC51 wrote:Much less (maybe zero) marking of written papers, much more time spent interviewing. Allowing schools to pick candidates most suited to the school - my italics!

I'm sure the suitability criteria will be many and varied!!
'And what does your daddy do? And your mummy?'.

Or am I being even more cynical than this article? :?
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thanks all, reality is dawning more on me with each post.

Is there an official website for the consortium like the SW Herts have? I'm looking for an accurate list of schools in it. Thanks.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Ileo please don't be put off. Both outgoing and shy children go to all these schools. Teachers are of course used to all sorts of children and good at talking to them and drawing them out. They just want to speak to your child to gauge how interested they are in learning and in getting involved generally in the life of the school. Neither of my DC were asked what we do for a living. Independent schools have always interviewed candidates after the academic tests - they get to speak to the DC/see how they work in a group etc. If a candidate has perhaps not done so well in a part of the test they could decide after interview that it was just a blip and the child should go through. It can work both ways. Its not a new part of the system - this new type of test is new as the first step but that will apply to everyone.
If you google the North London Consortium you will find the list of schools. I'm guessing that groups 1 and 2 will merge with this new system?
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thanks fairyelephant, that's useful to know.

I have searched online previously but I don't believe I have ever come across an up to date list. I know CLSG isn't in but it's still listed as in.

We are considering St Albans and St Helens amongst others but it seems St Albans may or may not be in the consortium depending on which website one looks at. The schools own website doesn't say anything about being in it though so probably answers my question :D

It will just be helpful to have a definite list.
Bibliovore

Post by Bibliovore »

ilelo wrote:We are considering St Albans and St Helens amongst others but it seems St Albans may or may not be in the consortium depending on which website one looks at. The schools own website doesn't say anything about being in it though so probably answers my question
St Albans High was out of the consortium when DD sat for the school last year. I think they might have pulled out of it the year before that.
Last edited by Bibliovore on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

The advantage of the Independent schools is that, unlike state schools, they do not have to set rigid entrance criteria and apply them rigidly too. The Independents are able to take a much more holistic view of the child. This approach includes tests, interviews, group discussion etc. I think that there are mental health issues related to the 11+, and it is brave of schools to call this out. The schools can send a clear message - a child's mental health is more important to us than the school's exam grades. As a parent, that is a good message to hear, and would attract me to a school.

Some might say that that holistic approach includes things like parents' occupations, otherwise why would they ask for it on the application form. I'm not sure what it tells the school, given most parents will be paying for the child's education and therefore probably have a 'decent' job.

For us, our bright DCs have/will probably just miss out on the selective state schools. Luckily we can afford the independent route. There are plenty of DCs at Independent schools just like ours.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans is not in.

Just type North London Consortium and it lists them.

St Helens is in but I am surprised that they are happy to sign up to this new change as the Head has been keen to keep pace with the top tier schools. DG
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Daogroupie wrote:St Albans is not in.

Just type North London Consortium and it lists them.

St Helens is in but I am surprised that they are happy to sign up to this new change as the Head has been keen to keep pace with the top tier schools. DG
If I read the Godolphin & Latymer website correctly, their focus is more or music / drama / sports than academics but their A-Level results a quite good; right up there with the top Academic schools.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

ilelo wrote: It will just be helpful to have a definite list.
http://www.nhehs.gdst.net/admissions/jo ... onsortium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it is a link from one of the schools in the consortium, I believe this is as definitive as it can get.
We visited nhehs on their open day but not overly impressed. SPGS, not part of the consortium, on the other hand was very impressive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now