Kes Interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fm

Post by fm »

I think KES are well aware of the male obsession with football in that they now do it as a sport. One of my pupils was very doubtful about going there until he learned football was on the agenda. I'm willing to bet you are more nervous than he is. Just tell him to be himself--if the school doesn't like him, then it's probably not the right school for him.
My understanding is that the head believes interviews will tell him more about a boy than mere exam results and, of course, he is right. I believe there are 3 or 4 masters conducting the interviews with a hope of interviewing 150.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

fm wrote:I think KES are well aware of the male obsession with football in that they now do it as a sport. One of my pupils was very doubtful about going there until he learned football was on the agenda. I'm willing to bet you are more nervous than he is. Just tell him to be himself--if the school doesn't like him, then it's probably not the right school for him.
My understanding is that the head believes interviews will tell him more about a boy than mere exam results and, of course, he is right. I believe there are 3 or 4 masters conducting the interviews with a hope of interviewing 150.
I didn't know they allowed anyone to play football! :shock: My son complains incessantly that all the pitches are dedicated to rugby and he and his football loving friends have to travel miles to get a game. I shall be extremely irate if I find out the Chief Master is enticing new pupils with the prospect of football but not allowing sixth formers to play it.
fm

Post by fm »

I definitely remember one of my pupils talking about one of his choices beginning to do football (so it had gone up in his wish list) and I do think it was KES. However, I could have it wrong in which case he must have been talking about Solihull. Alternatively he has misunderstood.
It made me smile because it perfectly illustrated the fact that our children really don't care about reputations or exam results or league tables but things like--does it have a swimming pool, are the dinners good, is my friend going there or, in the case of my daughter (a very shallow creature) would she look good in their uniform?
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hi, son just been for an interview at kes.

all went well. he was relaxed and came out smiling.
Mrs Philips said that the chiefmaster is looking to interview 150 boys- not all have been contacted yet- she is still in the process of making calls.
fisrt scholars, then assissted places. they will then interview about 60 boys around the borderline - all have an equal chance on being offered a place. I got the impression that it was down to the child's personality and keeeness to want to come to the school, as opposed to what the parents wanted.
He will decide during half- term and letters out on feb22.
that's all folks

mm2
kegs dad 2

Thank you mm2

Post by kegs dad 2 »

Thank you for sharing that info! Son got his interview Thurs, so a bit longer to wait. Will be glad when all done and dusted! Nice to know your son came out smiling! Good Luck and thank you again!
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Thanks mm2, that was useful.

My eldest has his interview on Thursday too, kegs dad 2! Good luck to your boy :D
mm2

Post by mm2 »

kegs dad and weasel
you can be sure that if interviews this week then I would say your sons have done well.
Also when chatting to mrs philips informally she said last year there was a boy who was interviewed for scholarship and was not given a place at the school because he revealed a little too honestly that he preferred camphill where all his friends had applied and kes was 2nd choice.
so morale of the story make sure son shows he loves the school and wants to go there. They do not need to know any different.

good luck to your sons

mm2
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

mm2 wrote:Also when chatting to mrs philips informally she said last year there was a boy who was interviewed for scholarship and was not given a place at the school because he revealed a little too honestly that he preferred camphill where all his friends had applied and kes was 2nd choice.
so morale of the story make sure son shows he loves the school and wants to go there. They do not need to know any different.
Blimey, that's a bit worrying. Years ago I was told by elder child's prep school head in another part of the country that decisions on secondary schools should be entirely the parents' because children don't know what's best for them! Sounds like the situation has reversed now with the child being in charge. :shock:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi All

One point that came out during one of the open days a couple of years ago is that KES don't always take their full 11+ allocation. Last year it was quite high at 123 from 429 taking the exam but in previous years it's been quite a bit lower.

I think it's disturbing that a child was rejected purely for being honest and expressing a preference for Camp Hill Boys over KES. As fm mentioned, it's quite possible for a very competent boy to fail the KE Grammar exam but pass the KES exam. They shouldn't really allow that to influence the decision.
fm

Post by fm »

This year 520 odd or so took exam and they are prepared to go up to about 130 children if needs be--or so I'm told.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now