Habs Girls, STAHS, Highgate Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Girls, STAHS, Highgate Girls

Post by Daogroupie »

City girls also brought in the concept of the exploding offer. When it's gone, it's gone!

They announced on email what percentage of offers had been accepted, twice in one of the days and then that they were full.

Even though the offer stated they were going to do that a lot of parents got caught out and ended up losing the opportunity of taking their place. DG
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

Wow. Thus is very valuable info. Had no idea about the over offers and the "Ethan Hunt MI exploding" letters

Thank you very much all. Hoping that we get a clearer picture on the 1st March if she's got into Latymer or whether we go down the Indie route, assuming she gets an offer
piggys

Post by piggys »

I love that idea of the exploding offer! if only the state schools could do it as well!
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

Sorry, another question if this is ok

Would anyone be able to shed any light of what material/boards these schools cover? In this way, would anyone happen to know if these schools are CEM based please?

My DD has done many of the CGP, FPTP and Bond books/tests when going for the grammars, so I was going to re-order some of the more challenging of these. However, I don't know if I'm being naive and should be steering to a different style/board?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This has already been covered at the start of the thread.

I suggest you stop doing books and start doing timed standard format papers.

These schools do not use CEM, they do standard format Comprehension and Composition as I have already said and standard format Maths.

If you sat the English paper second round for Latymer that is what the English paper will be like.

If you sat the second round for HBS or the Englishand Maths papers for DAO that is what Habs and St Albans will be like.

I know of dds last year who sat for HBS and DAO and then did nothing at all between October and January and managed to get scholarships for Habs and St Albans.

The St Albans comprehension is the same format as HBS second round and DAO English.DG
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

Thanks DG, apologies and much appreciated for the response

Papers it is for the next few weeks for both my daughter and myself (commutes will be fun as I trawl through the past papers)