Bromley High School test

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bondgirl

Bromley High School test

Post by bondgirl »

Hi. We are applying for Bromley High for DD2 (year 7 entry). The website is quite vague regarding the assessment tests - a mix of VR, NVR, spatial and numerical reasoning plus a short writing exercise. Does anyone have any recent experience or knowledge of the test? At the open morning, one of the staff suggested using Bond materials - are Bond the exam setters? Any help much appreciated.
bondgirl

Re: Bromley High School test

Post by bondgirl »

Now we are post-results and post-CAF filling, I’m re-bumping this one in case it got missed. Does anyone have any information on the test? I would also be interested in any feedback on the Senior School from current or recent parents. The open morning was very impressive (not a huge surprise!) and DD2 is very keen to go there. Any help, much appreciated :D
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hello, no direct experience of the test as when DD was in the Junior School all DD's friends who stayed on got an automatic pass through. The Head changed the rules that year so that anyone wanting scholarships also had to sit the test so she did explain that she wanted DD to sit the test and what it would entail in general, she said it would play to DD's strengths in maths as it would have extended maths but I can't remember much more than that. However DD didn't sit the test as she didn't want to stay on. DD still has friends at the school who are happy there, but DD is far happier in a grammar school than she ever was at BH, but that is more down to personality and fit and she has found a lovely group of friends at her new school. Bromley High seems to suit the sporty girl who needs a little bit of extra push academically. The senior school is made up of a fair balance between new intake and existing students so it isn't hard to make friends. Being part of the GDST network gives the school opportunities to take part in inter-school quizes and competitions and seems to be a strength.
Mintan

Post by Mintan »

Hi bondgirl

I did a search sometime back for Bromley high test papers and found some gdst papers for another school.
They are not for BH but I guess the test would be similar for most gdst schools.

I would prep for gl/cgp style vr and nvr as several Indies do use them.
Maths and English would of course need to be standard format and not multiple choice.
Maybe get hold of papers from schools like DAO, HBS, Aellyns etc.
I dont know if the difficulty levels will be comparable but it could be a starting point.

mintan
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thank you PWF and Mintan. Some helpful feedback PFW - DD is more arty and loves dance and drama rather than sport but she does need a push at times :roll: Re the test, we may look at Colfe’s as well and they have some sample papers on their website - GL for VR and NVR and standard maths and English so hopefully we are on the right lines if we practice similar for BHS. Thanks again.