City of London Boys (CLSB) 11+ entry Reasoning Test

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sjroshan

City of London Boys (CLSB) 11+ entry Reasoning Test

Post by sjroshan »

My DS is sitting for the CLSB partial bursary qualifying reasoning test on the 1st of Dec and I would appreciate if anyone could give me an insight into the computerized assessment? They have mentioned that it will cover VR, NVR and NR. Is it similar to the 11plus grammar school test prep materials? Any additional prep materials I should look into?

I have visited the school along with a few other Indie schools and its one of our top choice schools'. Kids who have scored high are only allowed to sit their entrance exam in mid-January 2018.
Bazelle

Re: City of London Boys (CLSB) 11+ entry Reasoning Test

Post by Bazelle »

I wonder if this is a new screening test? There was no such computerized test in December when we applied, only the day long one in January followed by interview. They are changing their bursaries criteria as well so maybe they are expecting a high number of applicants? I would think that a good preparation for these types of test should be adequate, focusing on speed and accuracy of course. Good luck!
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

Thanks Bazelle, for your response. Based on their email sent, they had previously held qualifying reasoning test for large bursary awards, but now its rolled out to all who have applied for a bursary, immaterial of the percentage.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

When my DS sat for City 11 plus two years ago I met a woman at the entrance exam in January who told me her son had sat a pretest. I think it may have been on the computer?
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

According to my son (now in year 9), his friend that is on a 100% bursary at CLSB is on a league of his own, top academic, top sports and top music and a very nice guy as well...truly deserved bursary IMO.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

sjroshan wrote:My DS is sitting for the CLSB partial bursary qualifying reasoning test on the 1st of Dec and I would appreciate if anyone could give me an insight into the computerized assessment? They have mentioned that it will cover VR, NVR and NR. Is it similar to the 11plus grammar school test prep materials? Any additional prep materials I should look into?

I have visited the school along with a few other Indie schools and its one of our top choice schools'. Kids who have scored high are only allowed to sit their entrance exam in mid-January 2018.
There are some indie schools that do this kind of computer based cognitive test. e.g St. Pauls. This is effectively a computer based CEM style exam. One other important point, I believe is, that you are not able to go back and check your answers even if you have time left after finishing the section.
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

MCLC, Bazelle & squareofthewicket for your responses.

Squareofthewicket, it is helpful to know that the assessment is similar to CEM style and the fact that you cannot go back and check the answers. My DS secured a place at our local grammar school (CEM) and hence I’d go through similar style questions with him as a prep.

Not sure whether there is any online practice testing available for these pre-tests.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I'm not sure whether they would be relevant but BOFA online do computerised test (I think it's like an ISEB test). Worth a practice.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

grgygirl wrote:I'm not sure whether they would be relevant but BOFA online do computerised test (I think it's like an ISEB test). Worth a practice.
BOFA would definitely be useful as DC needs to get used to a computer based test.
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

Thanks, I will check BOFAOnline, but my DS is used to online assessment when he sat the CEM 11plus prep.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now