Any advice re a bursary interview?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Post by moved »

Our son, also went through this process, although not for Rugby. He had three interviews, one with the head of maths, one head of English and then what he called the VR interview with the head. He was asked a broad range of questions and asked what he thought about various things, some environmental with science linked. Two-thirds of the boys were offered scholarships/bursaries.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Just a quickie to let you know that Edward got the letter today and got a place and bursary for Rugby School. We are thrilled!
kegs dad 2

Well done Ed!

Post by kegs dad 2 »

Congratulations Ed and family! Very well deserved, brilliant news! :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Many thanks to everyone on the forum who provided much-needed support when it was needed. I won't be leaving this site now as I feel I have made some true friends. It is accurate when people say that, on this forum, we are able to discuss those taboo topics that just cannot be mentioned in the playground - like 11+ entry(!)
It would have been a very long, lonely business without you guys.
I shall be on this forum for a long time to come to maybe eventually offer advice to others, or a glass of Bolly in REHAB...

:mrgreen:
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Just a quickie to let you know that Edward got the letter today and got a place and bursary for Rugby School. We are thrilled!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Ed's mum wrote:Just a quickie to let you know that Edward got the letter today and got a place and bursary for Rugby School. We are thrilled!
Another Happy Ending!

Well done

Regards
SVE

PS

However, if I were you I would be careful who you tell... some other parents won't be too pleased that they are paying the full £15K per year!
Animis opibusque parati
Jess

Post by Jess »

Well done Ed's Mum and Ed! Really really pleased for you
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Excellent work, Ed's Mum. Thankfully we didn't have to go through all this. Just saw the school ad in the newspaper and sent in our boy next week without any preparation or even hope. He had to sit tests in Maths, English, NVR and an interview with the head as soon as he finished the tests. Never knew what went right (he is excellent in English, he had already written a 'book' by the age of 9). Later on we received a letter that he was offered a place with 50% tuition fees. I had a meeting with the head who showed me his results and as expected he had scored good marks in English which convinced them to offer him the place. It was a difficult decision for us as we are a largish family, mum works part-time and I work nights. Still we went ahead with it which has put a strain on the finances but the kid is happy and improving every day.

Congratulations on Ed's success. You will be very happy when you see your boy bloom and grow in confidence every day. You think 11+ is a taboo subject in the playground, try discussing it with a majority of parents. The very mentioning of a private school would get you in huge trouble.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Drastic Dad, I am a teacher in a state primary school...most of my colleagues have shunned the whole topic of Ed and his entrance exams to independents!! Some have actually said to my face what they think... :mrgreen:
Thank you to everyone for their kind words.
SVE - we probably won't discuss the bursary with other parents, but he got it for academic ability as well as financial need, he had to show scholarship potential, so Edward is very proud and many others have bursaries too as scholarships these days are only 10% and are then augmented through means testing. Thanks for the advice however, I know how people are!!
AJ11

Post by AJ11 »

Well done, that's fantastic news you must be really proud.

Got our letter yesterday to offer son 25% scholarship as an "all rounder". Now have to apply for bursary to see if we can afford to send him to the school of his dreams. Be interesting to see in March if his 11+ score was high enough to gain a place at GS. We know he passed but that's all.

Good luck to everyone waiting for their letters. It's a nerve wracking time for everyone and I wish you all the best.