North London Girls’ School Consortium

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Re: North London Girls’ School Consortium

Post by Middlesexmum »

That's good and good luck to your dd for St Helen's tomorrow.

The wait's nearly over now! :D
rala

Post by rala »

Is there a way of getting to know scores in group 1 and group 2 tests? Would North London Consortium reveal them to interested parents?
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

No they wouldn’t Rala.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Private schools do not release scores at all. It is just pass or fail. You have no idea which of the papers let them down.

This is difficult to deal with especially for parents who were confident that their student would do well. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

You can ask at interview stage. Schools won't give out scores but they can give you an idea of how your child has done and if they did better in Maths or English.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Unfortunately it is mostly the parents of the students who did not get an interview who need the information about where the student did not reach the required level.

Even if the schools just used a grading system such as perhaps A for English and D for Maths with C being the required level that would help parents understand what went wrong. DG
rala

Post by rala »

We missed asking this question in the interviews as except St.Helen's none of the schools that my daughter interviewed at had any formal interaction between parents and teachers who might have this information. Some schools like UCS shared scores when I asked them for my son.
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Wycombe Abbey do release grades (if asked) and I think other schools too re: CE? Downe House (?)

I think the problem may than arise if the child has aced the pre-test/pre-assessment (some schools will often tell you verbally how they did in interview/pre- assessment) and got: A,B,C or similar in 11 plus, CE but not been offered a place in end/wait listed.

Essentially some independent schools can take who they wish and for some there will be an 'unofficial' sibling policy etc, too, which may bump some others who may not have all skill set ideally required down the list (ie: ok/good academics but no stand out talent e.g. A team sporting ability or music etc). Depends how much competition year on year etc too.
rala

Post by rala »

Has anyone heard from SHHS? We have received an offer from Channing via email this morning.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Well done to your dd rala, is Channing your first choice? Is it in Group 1 or Group 2?

Waiting for St Helen's here.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now