In the Lap of the Gods/We Will Never Know.....

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
G-Girl

In the Lap of the Gods/We Will Never Know.....

Post by G-Girl »

Well, we are now done and dusted and in the lap of the gods, with exams and interviews soon to be but a dim and distant memory.

To others on tenterhooks, too, may I explain: we have form, having been here before. Three years ago we went through a near-identical process with our ds, when we sweated, lay awake at night and every moment was consumed with thoughts of fat or thin envelopes winging their way to us.

We were successful with our chosen school and obviously hope that this is also the case this time, too, for our dd and yet....... the memory of three years ago has really faded and I have been pondering that if our ds had not achieved his chosen school, would it have been so bad? We will never know.

I hope I won’t be flamed with these sentiments (as with the School Oscars) as I understand how involved one can become with this whole process but we will never know how well our ds might have done in the state system. He may have caught a bright cohort, had enthusiastic teachers and flown. Another school may have understood him and he may have been just as happy and eventually achieved his academic aims but… we will never know. Obviously the opposite may have happened, too... but we will never know!

We all try to do the very best we can for our dc but school entrance exams are out of our control and it can feel a very difficult time.

To sum up - everyone who is worrying about their dc’s results, please try not to. Although at the moment it may seem as if nothing else matters, really, it doesn’t and I can assure you that in the great scheme of things, this is but a small piece of life’s great puzzle. Try not to worry!
piggys

Re: In the Lap of the Gods/We Will Never Know.....

Post by piggys »

G-Girl wrote:we sweated, lay awake at night and every moment was consumed with thoughts of fat or thin envelopes winging their way to us.
And yet you tell people 'not to worry' :?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I think what she's saying is that the worrying was pointless and she's trying to be calmer this time round?
Amber

Post by Amber »

streathammum wrote:I think what she's saying is that the worrying was pointless and she's trying to be calmer this time round?
It's easy to say worrying was pointless when you end up with the outcome you hoped for! Not so easy if you end up disappointed. Though of course worry is still pointless, as my family are always telling me, to no avail.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

This whole process is utter utter madness, I have barely recovered (3 years ago as well) and I am still finding myself logging in comes Jan/Feb to reassure myself that I was reacting completely normally given the circumstances :)
good luck to everyone
piggys

Post by piggys »

I'm sorry but I find the Original post verging on patronising and smug.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

G-Girl wrote: I hope I won’t be flamed with these sentiments (as with the School Oscars) as I understand how involved one can become with this whole process but we will never know how well our ds might have done in the state system. He may have caught a bright cohort, had enthusiastic teachers and flown. Another school may have understood him and he may have been just as happy and eventually achieved his academic aims but… we will never know. Obviously the opposite may have happened, too... but we will never know!
He actually might be doing better at a state school - you just don't know

I find your comments patronising - there are many very poor Private schools. Many people don't have this option anyway so your post strikes me as somewhat insensitive at this time.
piggys

Post by piggys »

And what on earth are the 'School Oscars'? :shock:
mad?

Post by mad? »

piggys wrote:And what on earth are the 'School Oscars'? :shock:
OP is referring to his/her previous thread which (in an attempt at humour?) wound some people up
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 31&t=41215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mad?
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

*login, not logging :0