Whitgift school offers out??

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: Whitgift school offers out??

Post by hermanmunster »

safiae wrote:My letter from Trinity only mentioned bursary nothing about scholarship. Does this mean my poor son did not get Scholarship? This is very complicated for me and I am so confused!! Can you please help!
Congratulations on the bursary - schools offer scholarships (usually quite small) and bursaries (may be small but can be much larger). To get either of the these the pupil has to do v well in the exam. Suspect you will get more info soon re the bursary
firefox

Post by firefox »

Quasay and Safiae... Firstly congrats to your DS for getting an offer. He's done very well as there are children who sadly didn't get into W or T or are currently on the waiting list.

I went through this process with DS1 3 years ago and received offers from academic scholarships from both W and T (We chose Whitgift). We have also just done this process with DS2 and we got the letter yesterday saying that he has been awarded a Sports Scholarship.

In both cases (academic or Co-curricular) the details of the scholarship and enclosed in the offer letter from the school.

For those who have applied for a bursary, this is means tested, and like the academic/co-curricular scholarships, children have to have done very well in the exam to get one (in addition to meeting the means tested requirements). You should be aware that the bursary application is considered and determined by the Foundation, while the scholarships are awarded by the individual schools (W, T and OP)

So in short, given what you have posted, your DS's have not been awarded scholarships but have done well enough for you to get a bursary (which you would have had to apply for). You will receive a letter from the Foundation soon with next steps and they'll walk you through what evidence you need to provide etc.

Hope that helps!
Qusay02

Post by Qusay02 »

firefox wrote:Quasay and Safiae... Firstly congrats to your DS for getting an offer. He's done very well as there are children who sadly didn't get into W or T or are currently on the waiting list.

I went through this process with DS1 3 years ago and received offers from academic scholarships from both W and T (We chose Whitgift). We have also just done this process with DS2 and we got the letter yesterday saying that he has been awarded a Sports Scholarship.

In both cases (academic or Co-curricular) the details of the scholarship and enclosed in the offer letter from the school.

For those who have applied for a bursary, this is means tested, and like the academic/co-curricular scholarships, children have to have done very well in the exam to get one (in addition to meeting the means tested requirements). You should be aware that the bursary application is considered and determined by the Foundation, while the scholarships are awarded by the individual schools (W, T and OP)

So in short, given what you have posted, your DS's have not been awarded scholarships but have done well enough for you to get a bursary (which you would have had to apply for). You will receive a letter from the Foundation soon with next steps and they'll walk you through what evidence you need to provide etc.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

If your child is awarded with the scholarship it would be included in the letter from the Head, together with info how much. If scholarship is not mentioned so I am afraid it means no scholarship. It is very tough with scholarships now. My son last year was in top 5 and was awarded with academic scholarship less than 50%, although my expectation was around this number.
Choco

Post by Choco »

I would think that most people would get a bigger discount through a bursary than through a scholarship. If you can only have 1 of these, then a bursary may well be better as many scholarships are quite paltry these days. Obviously it would be better to get both and a bigger discount overall.

Is it about the money or the prestige that you are most concerned?