NLCS from St.Albans

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Heffrey67

NLCS from St.Albans

Post by Heffrey67 »

Hi everyone this is.my first post

Has anyone had experience of the commute from St Albans to NLCS. It would be via the bus service. It.leaves very early 7.15 from the other side of st Albans to us and I am worried that a hour and 15 minute commute (walk plus bus) is a crazy.idea...Also does anyone know how many girls.from st Albans use this bus service to get to NLCS? Any info and experience.(pos or neg) would be v helpful
Middlesexmum

Re: NLCS from St.Albans

Post by Middlesexmum »

I would think very carefully about committing to such a long commute. How would your dd get to the bus stop? You need to factor in bad weather conditions, carrying heavy bags, musical instruments or other equipment.

What time would she get home? You also need to think about after school clubs.

It just sounds too exhausting for an 11 year old IMO.

What other schools are you considering?
Heffrey67

Post by Heffrey67 »

Those are good.points. Our alternatives are Habs and st Albans..
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

St Albans is a great school, what do you think NLCS can offer that St Albans can't?

What's the journey like to Habs?
Heffrey67

Post by Heffrey67 »

All 3 schools have pros and cons from what I have seen

Coach service to habs logistically easier ( stop is nearer journey shorter and coach leaves later) with more girls.and also boys from habs
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Phone the NLCS bursar (they're always happy to talk) to get info on how many come from St Albans. It's a full size coach (as opposed to a minibus) so it would be more than 40 girls. Quite likely, you aren't the only one from your side of St Albans. There is likely to be an enthusiastic parent who will take turns hopping to the coach stop.
As far as what's different, while all of your options are excellent, if it's NLCS that really clicked for you and your DD, then it's just the right school and all else is logistics that can be sorted. They are only little year 7s for the blink of an eye and big, independent young women for most of their time at school.
( lange instruments not a problem- use the school's at school, yours to practice at home and bring for performances)
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

shootmenow wrote: There is likely to be an enthusiastic parent who will take turns hopping to the coach stop.
That's quite a big commitment for 7 years.

Regarding instruments, I have never heard of using someone else's, especially woodwind!

Even if logistics are possible, it is still a really long journey. Two and half hours travelling, day in day out. No school is a perfect fit for your child, there are pros and cons of all schools as heffray has pointed out.

OP, how does your dd feel about the 3 schools?
Heffrey67

Post by Heffrey67 »

She is struggling with the choice. She is not thrilled with the idea of the commute but likes nlcs. She also has s friend who will probably be going yo habs which the sees as a big plus. Having said that she also really likes st Albans do nothing is off the table
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What would be your reason for such a long commute when you live in St Albans and you have a place at the High School?

Clearly there must be something you feel NLCS offers you that the High School does not? DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Heffrey67 wrote:She is not thrilled with the idea of the commute
Well I think you have to be the parent then. Habs and St Albans are both really great schools, your dd will do just as well/be just as happy at one of them and not have such a long journey.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now