Bursaries/scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MCLC

Bursaries/scholarships

Post by MCLC »

If you apply for a bursary place at Indie do they only ask for you to send in your financial particulars if you actually pass the exam or are offered an interview?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Bursaries

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Different schools run their systems differently. Often you fill in a fairly simple form prior to exams etc and then have to complete a much more in depth one later in the process.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Ah okay thanks.
bubblechops

Post by bubblechops »

Having just been through this for four indie schools I can tell you that three of the schools we applied for asked for extensive financial disclosure by mid/to end of November (at time of registration basically) - so way before my daughter had taken any exams. They all wanted different sorts of financial disclosure, but I can tell you that there was a LOT of it and it included bank statements, council tax bills (to prove I was a single parent) P60 info, house valuation, mortgage statements, child benefit statements, maintenance agreements and much more besides.

The fourth school only wanted fairly basic stuff before the exam - this was things like income, mortgage payments and details of savings (if any) - very basic assets and liabilities and they did not ask for documentation. I was then called in for an interview with the bursar (the other schools didn't do this) They will, however, want my final salary details for 2015/2016 this summer just to check it's not too far away from the income details I provided for 2014/2015.

In the end we were offered three out of four schools, bursaries at two of them and on the bursary waiting list for the third. One of the bursaries is near full fee remission plus uniform, lunches and all co-curricular trips so I could not be more happy (and excited) as it is one of the top 20 indie schools in the country (and our favourite) and I thought it was such a long shot. Happy to answer any questions - feel like I know bursaries inside out now!
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thank you bubblechops! I'll pm you!
Muggles

Post by Muggles »

Thank you for sharing this. I too will PM you.
vimaluk

Post by vimaluk »

Thanks bubblechops. will pm you .
cherry21

Post by cherry21 »

bubblechops wrote:Having just been through this for four indie schools I can tell you that three of the schools we applied for asked for extensive financial disclosure by mid/to end of November (at time of registration basically) - so way before my daughter had taken any exams. They all wanted different sorts of financial disclosure, but I can tell you that there was a LOT of it and it included bank statements, council tax bills (to prove I was a single parent) P60 info, house valuation, mortgage statements, child benefit statements, maintenance agreements and much more besides.

The fourth school only wanted fairly basic stuff before the exam - this was things like income, mortgage payments and details of savings (if any) - very basic assets and liabilities and they did not ask for documentation. I was then called in for an interview with the bursar (the other schools didn't do this) They will, however, want my final salary details for 2015/2016 this summer just to check it's not too far away from the income details I provided for 2014/2015.

In the end we were offered three out of four schools, bursaries at two of them and on the bursary waiting list for the third. One of the bursaries is near full fee remission plus uniform, lunches and all co-curricular trips so I could not be more happy (and excited) as it is one of the top 20 indie schools in the country (and our favourite) and I thought it was such a long shot. Happy to answer any questions - feel like I know bursaries inside out now!

Thank you , I will pm you
walemeoh

Post by walemeoh »

Please Lil man passed the 11 plus tests but I was hoping we could try Indie schools. Are there any who would take him simply because he passed the tests very well? Truth be told we have great savings but have 4 kids so need that money and Indie schools will just wipe the savings out .

Are there any schools who would take him simply because he aces the exams.....

Thanks in advance ... this will determine whether we should try or not .

Thanks
bubblechops wrote:Having just been through this for four indie schools I can tell you that three of the schools we applied for asked for extensive financial disclosure by mid/to end of November (at time of registration basically) - so way before my daughter had taken any exams. They all wanted different sorts of financial disclosure, but I can tell you that there was a LOT of it and it included bank statements, council tax bills (to prove I was a single parent) P60 info, house valuation, mortgage statements, child benefit statements, maintenance agreements and much more besides.

mad?

Post by mad? »

walemeoh wrote:Please Lil man passed the 11 plus tests but I was hoping we could try Indie schools. Are there any who would take him simply because he passed the tests very well? Truth be told we have great savings but have 4 kids so need that money and Indie schools will just wipe the savings out .
Do you mean take him and not charge you anything? A scholarship not a means tested bursary? These are rarely worth more than 10% of the fees. I am aware of a couple of 50% academic scholarships but just doing exceptionally well in the entrance exams was only stage one of the assessment process for these.
mad?