NLCS from St.Albans

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Itsnotoveryet

Re: NLCS from St.Albans

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

Daogroupie - it took some time for me to get the truth out of her but she stays there until pick up. She has managed to get some work (unpaid) at a local school. She helps out there assisting teachers with adhoc jobs. Collects her daughter and comes home to do this all again the next morning. Pure craziness.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is good that a local school is getting much needed help and she is using the time to benefit other students.

But what is it about the school that was not available anywhere nearer?

And has she not taken a place from a local dd for whom it was their local school?

I heard last year of a Y8 dd at HBS coming down from Coventry every day by taxi.

Hopefully that is no longer happening.

Surely at some point these huge commutes become a pastoral issue for the schools?

I know a student who was in the class of the Coventry dd who was constantly falling asleep in class during the day.

At least in a train or a coach some work could be done, not so easy in a car. DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Itsnotoveryet- I know which family you mean. DD2 was her buddy when she joined.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Daogroupie wrote: I heard last year of a Y8 dd at HBS coming down from Coventry every day by taxi.
Crazy. It is just a school at the end of the day. I don't understand some parents.
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

Coventry! Absolutely no sense...
I was surprised she was offered a place from such a long distance but I guess most ppl would move closer at some point. When I asked I was shut off so kept my nose out.

It definitely plays a toll on the child.

She didn’t like her local state school and didnt want to pay for a school more local either. So I guess the fact that it’s grammar and free is the only reason for the commute. With DS being at QE I’m asssuming she wanted DD to go Grammar too.

Only 6.5 years to go!!

SMN- it’s a small world!
examprepper

Post by examprepper »

I can't help with the NLCS commute I'm afraid but we were in a somewhat similar position last year holding an offer from Habs and St Albans High School, which we live almost on top of. My DD chose the commute and has managed just fine - Habs was just the right school for her. Many people thought we were crazy not to take the local school but it just wasn't her.

She leaves at 7.30am and is back at either 4.45pm or 6.15pm if she stays late - she often does this and gets homework done at school so once she is home she has free time, or goes to a club.

I'd say to go with the right fit school personally (if you strongly favour one) but I know others prioritise journey time more.

HTH
has2bme

Post by has2bme »

Hi I actually previously had the same decision to make but vice verse, my daughter at NLCs and uses the same coach service that goes to St Albans. It’s a large coach in the morning and smaller one in the afternoon. It’s not a full coach hence the smaller one in the afternoon. The only issue being there is no late coach for us so when she has after school activities I have to pick her up. Not a problem as we are only 15/20 min away. But maybe a potential issue for you? However most clubs are at lunch time. St Albans was a serious contender for us but DD too would have had to leave at 7:10-7:15 ish. Habs was an option and it was nearer for us than any other two, but we chose NLCS and it’s a decision we have never regretted! I was hesitant about St Albans because of the commute. So completely understand, and it did play a part in our decision making. There are girls in my daughters class that come from further afield and manage well. Your DD will do equally as well at both schools. You will have a gut feeling when you visit the offer holders day again the schools. Then choose. Good luck x
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

We have been in a similar situation and did a long commute for 6 years. We have an exceptionally academic daughter and I wanted to ensure that she would be happy as well as fulfilled and I didn’t like the junior school at St Albans at the time we looked at it (over 10 years ago now) so Habs it was!

For senior school, however, DD moved from Habs to St Albans which was much closer for us (upon her request). At Habs the actual bus and early starts we’re not as much of an issue as the logistics of the coach service. No late busses back to our part of town or not as late as they needed to be for the clubs.
Sports was also heavily impacted by this as it meant lots of journeys where we had to drive her in or pick up as there were no coaches.

In addition as she was the only child so far away she was often not included in things and everything had to be preplanned. It affected her friendships etc.

I thought that the higher academic standing then the better. What I learnt was actually what matters for our DD is how the teachers differentiate the work and the pastoral care.

So before you decide really, really carefully think about what the school will deliver for your DD that others can’t. If you genuinely can’t decide I would make a list of questions for each school and speak to a relevant staff member or the head so that you can get some clarity.

It is easiest if you can be very specific - eg this other school is offering X, do you do something similar? Etc

In my experience schools are only too happy to speak again to offer holders who are trying to decide. They know it is not an easy one to make (and nor should it be).

Good luck!
goinggreyfast

Post by goinggreyfast »

I think NLCS is very hard to turn down - there is real magic to what they do there. Many girls cope with a long commute and it’s not so bad on the school bus as they can just kick back, sleep, relax etc. my daughter comes from the opposite direction with comparable journey time and it really is ok, though the first term was hard The girls do need to be pretty industrious and keen to organise homework around commute times but most are fine. I came on the forum when we had our offer to ask whether I could commit my daughter to such a long commute or take an option that was half the distance away - everyone told me not to do it but it has actually been amazing and my daughter would never have forgiven us if we had turned down NLCS - her dream school.