NLCS from St.Albans

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: NLCS from St.Albans

Post by Daogroupie »

10 year olds can have no real idea of what a grinding daily commute would really mean.

Why don't you do some dummy runs during half term. Get up in time to get to that coach stop for 715am and then drive to NLCS and then come back so she will really understand what it means.

Why would you want her to be that far away when she could be in your home town?

As you will know the High school is really part of the city and you see the girls in the town centre all the time.

You wont have to pay for the very expensive coach as you can just get a local bus to the town centre. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote:Why don't you do some dummy runs during half term. Get up in time to get to that coach stop for 715am and then drive to NLCS and then come back so she will really understand what it means.
That's pretty pointless - the decrease in traffic over half-term will make this unrealistic.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

There are girls with much longer commutes than St Albans. They and their parents wouldn't do it if they didn't feel it was worth it. You can ask if a critical mass will be coming from your side of StA and if the route can be changed.
Maybe make a list of pros and cons with each school. We actively chose NLCS over lots of closer options for our DDs because it was the place where they seemed to fit. It was a coup de coeur for DD1 at 4+ and for DD2 at 11+, it was a case of knowing that she'd be treated well (her previous school made it absolutely clear that they didn't want a dyslexic no matter how clever) and that she'd find something to feel passionate about in her academics.

As for woodwind instruments, unless it's a bassoon, it's easily portable. The coach leg of the journey is a doddle as the driver stows the instruments under the coach.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Middlesexmum wrote:
Heffrey67 wrote:She is not thrilled with the idea of the commute
Well I think you have to be the parent then. Habs and St Albans are both really great schools, your dd will do just as well/be just as happy at one of them and not have such a long journey.
+1
I cannot imagine doing that commute myself, let alone putting a child through it. It sounds as though you have fabulous local options, so why even consider it? A school is a school at the end of the day and most people don't even have this much choice.
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

I suggest visit them all on offer holders day and you will see each school with a different prospective. It’s not a matter of what does NLC offer that the others don’t. They are all great schools but only you would know which is the right fit for your DD. If she is not thrilled with the thought of a long journey and you know that this is something that won’t change over time then I suggest a closer school for her wellbeing would be the best fit.

We moved from the doorstep of our daughters current school due to other commitments and she now leaves at 7:30am. She is coping just fine and takes part in all activities during and some after school. Has a lot of stamina and is not phased by this at all. DD1 however would not have coped with such a day at that age. NLCS is a very busy school.

We keep an instrument at home and another one that she can keep at school on occasions so she is not having to carry this home as she has lesson one day and plays in two different orchestras on different days!

Now is the time to sit and do some research and be aware of those that drive you away from certain schools - they have their own motives!

We had a choice of very good schools last year and glad with our choice. Please do choose a school that’s right for her taking into account journey time especially as that is a big concern for you. Girls do travel for there so maybe on offers day speak to girls that maybe travelling from that side-they will tell you the truth!

I know someone travelling to Wycombe High School from Edgware. They leave at 6:30am each morning. They are coping just fine and daughter is very happy but I couldn’t do that to DD.

Good luck with decision making - you have some great schools.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Itsnotoveryet wrote: Now is the time to sit and do some research and be aware of those that drive you away from certain schools - they have their own motives!
Erm? Do they? Could you expand? Most of us on here are just trying to be helpful, that's all.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Itsnotoveryet wrote:I know someone travelling to Wycombe High School from Edgware. They leave at 6:30am each morning. They are coping just fine and daughter is very happy but I couldn’t do that to DD.
What! That is just crazy - does she walk from HW station every morning to the school? No school is worth that sort of commute - is she in Year 7 now?
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Stamina is very individual. Both of my DDs have friends who train for their respective sports at 6 am before school.
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

Amber- sorry I should have mentioned that it wasn’t individuals on this forum. I’m speaking from experience and conversations I’ve had during my journey last year. I had parents from our last school and some that I thought were true friends try to steer me away from our top 2 choices. I wouldn’t like to say why on here but I know my gut instinct was correct and I’ve stayed well clear from these ppl. Unfortunately not everyone has best intentions like those on this forum. I found this forum late but found it very helpful in making our decision.

Guest55 - The mother drives her daughter to school each day. She started Year 7 last September. She had the choice of Habs, St Helens and St Albans at that time. I don’t think any school is worth that journey. They have no intention to move their once
DS completes his time at QE either. Money is not a problem either therefore can’t quite get my head around it but it’s their choice I guess.

Shootmenow-most definitely! DD has 7am swim training at school midweek and the usual swimming lessons. She swims 4 times a week outside of school too. 3 x evenings once at 5:30am!
She loves it and we have always given her a choice to stop whenever she wants to.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So her mother makes that drive four times a day, five times a week?

Or does she spend every day there between 9am and 3pm waiting for her daughter to finish school? DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now