Sensible, pragmatic advice please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Sensible, pragmatic advice please!

Post by Guest55 »

There is no guarantee that Sevenoaks will continue to offer the IB - take that out of the equation.

I'd go with the easiest journey as there is little to choose between them.
Choco

Post by Choco »

There is no guarantee, but given they are the leading IB school in the country and totally devoted to it, I would think that if that is important to your son, it is a factor to consider rather than discredit.

SevenOaks are committed to the broader 6th Form curriculum so it would be a huge shift to drop it.

It is true that things can change in any school, however choices still have to be made and based on what we know today and liklihood of change. SevenOaks is a pioneer of the IB and has done it for many years. It isn't a school that has dipped in and out of it like some.
doodles

Post by doodles »

There is no guarantee that Sevenoaks will continue to offer the IB - take that out of the equation.
Of course they could decide to change what they offer, as any school could, nobody can foretell the future but given the number of international students at the school I think they would have to give it serious consideration. But of course never say never.........

I'd go with the easiest journey as there is little to choose between them.

Except of course that Sevenoaks is fully co-ed and Eltham is only co-ed in the 6th form
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
StressedOutMother

Post by StressedOutMother »

Thank you for all of your thoughts, I really appreciate the time taken to respond.

We're filling out the Sevenoaks forms now. It is the better fit for DS, regardless of how much money is not being saved. He's just read the school rules and is chomping at the bit for us to pay the deposit.

Will be relieved to have this whole saga over. It's been testing!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Well done for making the decision and thank you for thanking us. Many many posters don't. They just expect help automatically. Now you can enjoy the rest of half term. DG
doodles

Post by doodles »

Glad you can now enjoy the rest of your half term, but please do stay around stressedoutmother you never know who you may be able to help.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Mintan

Post by Mintan »

Stressedoutmother

Well done to your DS (and all of you) on his results!
I read your post with interest as DD waitlisted for sevenoaks.

We are a bit undecided at the moment and was hoping the offer holders Saturday would give us a bit of insight if she got an offer.
But we now have to wait and see what March 1st brings.

Hope your boy is happy at sevenoaks. I personally loved the school but I realise that alone isn't enough :-)
StressedOutMother

Post by StressedOutMother »

Mintan wrote:Stressedoutmother

Well done to your DS (and all of you) on his results!
I read your post with interest as DD waitlisted for sevenoaks.

We are a bit undecided at the moment and was hoping the offer holders Saturday would give us a bit of insight if she got an offer.
But we now have to wait and see what March 1st brings.

Hope your boy is happy at sevenoaks. I personally loved the school but I realise that alone isn't enough :-)
Did you stay for the Head chat on exam day? The admissions lady said that if you were wait listed then you should call her on the first week back and she would be honest about where your child was on the waiting list and what the chances were. Call her on Monday!

I do hope she has good news for you ***
Mintan

Post by Mintan »

We did stay and I also emailed the school on results day.
They did call back and were quite transparent about exam scores and wait list position which i appreciated.
Our dilemma is grammar Vs private and we need to wait for March 1st. Our other preference is Tonbridge grammar.

I am also slightly worried if she gets in at sevenoaks and is one of the bottom ones!
Considering it is known to be a fast paced school, I hope she will cope.
It's probably my own insecurity rather than hers!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now