Merchant Taylors from Hadley Highstone?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whattodo?

Merchant Taylors from Hadley Highstone?

Post by whattodo? »

We've got our offers for MTS & St. Albans. We are totally divided in the family where DH is very very keen on MTS but logistically St. A is closer.

Can I make it work? What about travel time? is it wrong/selfish of us to want a better school even though it will impact the whole family...

Anyone doing the same commute? How many go to MTS from Potters bar/Barnet/Hadley Wood?

Totally confused and not enjoying the privilege of having a choice as its causing arguments at home!

Thank you all for your help in advance!
loobylou

Re: Merchant Taylors from Hadley Highstone?

Post by loobylou »

As someone with lots of friends in Barnet/Hadley, I've never met anyone who goes to MT's. St Albans is a popular choice and everyone I know who goes there/has been there is happy.
Is there a coach to MTs from Barnet? If so, I guess that it is a journey that other people will be doing. If not, that might answer your question!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What makes you think MTS is a better school than St Albans?

How would you define a better school?

For the last five years every student I know of who sat MTS got an offer whereas this is certainly not the case for St Albans, some are knocked out before the second round and others did not get an offer.

I know two students on the waiting list who would be very glad of your place.

I will be surprised if you can find a coach going to MTS as students would be going to Habs or St Albans and some to City and Westminster

You could certainly ask the school if they have any students near you.

Choice can indeed be a terrible thing.

Is your ds currently at a local school he can walk to? DG
Needglasses

Post by Needglasses »

I’m also considering MTS from Potters Bar. Both DS and us loved MTS as a school. It felt like such a lovely school. The coach journey makes me cringe for him though. I’m gonna have to drive to Arkley Pub for a further 1hr coach ride so total journey is about 1hr 15 mins. If he takes the late bus due to activities, he has almost a 12 hour day before dinner, homework and instruments. It just seems so tedious. Also I think... as my DS will want to join a million things...it will limit DS’ experience of MTS if I push him to get home on earlier coach.

I know a couple of the boys that get on from Barnet. They’ve said it’s a long day but worth it.

Our other option is Habs. It is a shorter coach ride and drops near our front door. I can also drop him to school in the mornings as it’s on the way. I know it’s a no brainer logistically. But still... really liked MTS. Head vs heart I think.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Twice a day, five days a week, thirty weeks a year, seven years.

It is a lovely school but it is going to take 2.5 hours of travelling each day.

Have you worked how many more minutes of sleep he can have every day if he goes to Habs? DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

Daogroupie wrote: Choice can indeed be a terrible thing. DG
indeed it can. Wise words DG
Needglasses

Post by Needglasses »

About 5-7 hours a week. Plus I’m not chasing the coach in the mornings and waiting for his pick ups in the evenings. Yeah, you’re right DG. More rational thought needed!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know a family who were dazzled by a school and turned down a 12 minute train journey for a coach journey that meant their ds had to get up at 630am every day.

They were already fed up of dragging him out of bed by the third week.

I am sure they have now adjusted and he has had to go to bed earlier but it has had a much bigger impact on the family than perhaps they anticipated.

He has disappeared from many evening activities such as Scouts and Orchestra. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

My favourite primary school on the UK mainland - just about!- was Applecross primary (google it!). Sadly as we live in Gloucestershire I knew it wasn't going to be a runner for my children. Luckily for them I also decided not to try and get them into the best secondary schools I know, in Finland.

Equally luckily, they did just fine at schools that were some way down on my list of top favourites in the world, with the added bonus of also getting some sleep, making some friends they had a fighting chance of seeing out of school and eating meals with the family.

Please, to anyone considering insane journeys, remember that you are jolly privileged to have any kind of choice at all, and no matter how exceptional and unique you consider your child's particular talents to be, there is not only one school on the planet (or more usually, in London) which will cater to them. A truly exceptional child would probably flourish in a shed in the garden with a few books, so it is unlikely that only one (usually very expensive) school is going to be what is needed to nurture their marvellous brain. And meanwhile the rest of you have to keep on living...

ETA there are people whose children need one particular school to be allowed to develop their unique talents, and these are the parents of children with some complex disabilities, who often end up fighting for basic provision.
Needglasses

Post by Needglasses »

Thank you :D

DG, I mentioned the possibility of having to quit scouts using your example. DS now has a better understanding of what the extra travel could mean and is coming round to the idea of the easier route. He also prefers not to see ragey stressed out mum trying to get him out the door every morning.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now