HB vs Habs vs Sthn vs NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LolaD

Re: HB vs Habs vs Sthn vs NLCS

Post by LolaD »

Middlesexmum wrote:
canadad wrote: Is this normal? I may indeed pay at some point, but at the moment I would see that the education is a joint concern of the parent, teacher and student. Thoughts welcome.
canadad - there is a lot of negative thinking regarding private tuition. Some people think it's a terrible idea, or refuse to do it on principle, or think it's the fault of the school for not providing good enough teaching.

I have never heard of people spending such huge sums on tuition though, but who knows, maybe it does go on.

My oldest dd (who was at St Helen's) had a small amount of private tuition for Maths and Science in Year 11 only. By small amount, it was no more than 4 or 5 sessions for each with a reasonably priced (£30-35/hour) tutor. She had requested it and I agreed because - a) it was good for her confidence, and b) having things explained by a different teacher in the comfort of your own home can make a huge difference. Her teachers at St Helen's were wonderful and provided extra revision sessions after school in the run up to the exams which dd attended. But the 1-to-1 just provided a little bit more.

She got an A in Maths and A*A* for dual Science. Would she have achieved those grades without the tuition? Possibly. But I don't see any harm in giving your child a bit of a confidence boost if that's what's needed.
You are so right! Very many view private tuition in bad light. People give all sorts of reasons for this attitude but I'm not convinced it's such a bad idea.

Well done for doing what you felt was right for your Dd!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Hi canadad, just wondering how you are doing and if you have decided on a school yet? Did your dd get HBS?
canadad

Post by canadad »

Middlesexmum wrote:Hi canadad, just wondering how you are doing and if you have decided on a school yet? Did your dd get HBS?
Thanks for asking. We didn't :( so we have taken a scholarships at one of the independant schools. It was a little bit of a traumatic weekend. We are on the waiting list for HB, so may have to forsake the a terms' fees if we switch. All depends on if they get to the 20s/30s on the waiting list before September. History says yes, but it looks like the school is making a concerted effort to woo those higher on the list for good reason.

I have read a few posts from last year that imply that if you are in the 20s you should get a place, but who knows unless you do.

What are your thoughts?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS invited the dds from 1 to 20 on the waiting list to the offer day so clearly the school thinks they are going to be offered a place.

Some places in the 20s will be offered but it will be a long wait.

I would settle in with your indy and then just see what happens in the next few months.

I know a dd in the top twenty so will know when it reaches her as she will take it. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Really difficult to predict how many places will come up, and when.

Sometimes places come up last minute in the summer holidays, after uniform has been bought and dds have attended open days and met their new classmates.

I agree with DG to stick with the indie.
letsdothis

Post by letsdothis »

Where would I be without having discovered this forum? Thank you to all contributors for their input.

We are in a similar situation to Canadadad - we've accepted a place at the local independent for our son and will be declining the state offer which was our third choice.
Can anyone confirm that we can also retain a place on the waiting list for our first choice?
Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
canadad

Post by canadad »

Thanks both. It would be great to understand which place we are at once the original deadline of the 15th comes up. Unless we rapidly move down the first waiting list, then we are committed down the Indie route. Don't particularly want to shift across after September although I see lots do do that.

I'm watching your other post Daogroupie. Thanks everyone for your help.