Positive17

Re: CLSG offer withdrawals

Post by Positive17 »

It's already made it to the papers!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mb74 wrote:Hbsseal

From what I can glean from your posts, your daughter might not currently be an offer holder (offer, then retracted after 72hrs, re-instated, removed again and then told previous email was a mistake. Have I got that right?).

Have you considered the possibility that you might not even be allowed to attend the morning? I’m really interested to hear what the school says but will be staggered if they demonstrate even the one grain of remorse for what they have put you and other families through.
I think hbsseal can probably claim that, given the school's 'offer history' in their DD's case, her offer status at the time of turning up for the offer holders' event could reasonably be compared the that of Schroedinger's Cat.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hbsseal

Post by hbsseal »

mb74 wrote:£17,000 Top London school throws out mother for attending offers morning. CLSG says that they have a transparent process despite offering, withdrawing and then re-offering the place.
:D

My point would be that they never withdrew the offer holders' invite. They will claim that it was implicit in the transparent description of the invite being for "offer" holders, and the withdrawal of offer automatically meant withdrawn from the morning too. Should be fun, I am looking forward to it.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

hbsseal wrote:
mb74 wrote:£17,000 Top London school throws out mother for attending offers morning. CLSG says that they have a transparent process despite offering, withdrawing and then re-offering the place.
:D

My point would be that they never withdrew the offer holders' invite. They will claim that it was implicit in the transparent description of the invite being for "offer" holders, and the withdrawal of offer automatically meant withdrawn from the morning too. Should be fun, I am looking forward to it.
:lol: :lol:
Please post a detailed description!
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

ToadMum wrote:I think hbsseal can probably claim that, given the school's 'offer history' in their DD's case, her offer status at the time of turning up for the offer holders' event could reasonably be compared the that of Schroedinger's Cat.
In theory then, there is a branch of the universe where there is a firm offer and another one where there isn't. Who doesn't love a good physics joke? :D

Good to see hbsseal treating this with good humour. Good on you, hbsseal.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

With this much advance notice, I see some one trying for school to understand what damage limitation means. Perhaps hbsseal may be offered tea and biscuits and allowed to sit through the painful experience of sitting at 'Offer withdrawn' parents' day.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If the school is that oversubscribed at 11+ (its neurosis re the possibility that it might turn out to be not quite so popular after all notwithstanding :shock: ), why doesn't it amend its planning application for the underground car park to one for accommodation suitable for secondary age students? Or are the ceilings too low?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

ToadMum wrote:If the school is that oversubscribed at 11+ (its neurosis re the possibility that it might turn out to be not quite so popular after all notwithstanding :shock: ), why doesn't it amend its planning application for the underground car park to one for accommodation suitable for secondary age students? Or are the ceilings too low?
Another good observation ToadMum. It would get them around the issue of the Mines and Collieries Act of 1842 which prohibits children under 10 from working underground. Definitely a win-win.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

ToadMum wrote:If the school is that oversubscribed at 11+ (its neurosis re the possibility that it might turn out to be not quite so popular after all notwithstanding :shock: ), why doesn't it amend its planning application for the underground car park to one for accommodation suitable for secondary age students? Or are the ceilings too low?
This made me laugh, maybe next we’ll be seeing adverts for teachers with a height under five foot (or the metric equivalent)?
RSWest

Post by RSWest »

hbsseal wrote:
InvisibleHand wrote:Sorry - bad combination of being moved to my first post through a sense of righteous indignation. We were pretty clear City would be our first choice. The only reasons we weren't there first thing on Monday morning were logistical. If I had appreciated the implications we might have organised things differently, but it was not at all transparent, even with their caveated wording. (And I am afraid that though I occasionally dip into forums, I have not followed obsessively). We do have an offer from Shahs and a Band A at HBS all of which is fine, but not actually our preference.
+1

I too speak from the position where CLSG was our out and out first preference. Irrespective, no reasonable person would drop everything in their life and turn up at the school in person as many as three weeks before the offer deadline to secure offer even before the offer holders' open morning. It is a shambles from getting written test invitation letters with wrong addresses, failure to ever answer phone, an email in morning saying no offer, then another in evening saying offer is secured, then another next day saying offer is confirmed (and proactively asking us to withdraw from other schools!!, just imagine if we did that we now would have no offer at all), then another half an hour later to ignore the previous email, and then yet another in the evening saying the offer is not there.

Make your mind up!! A number of posters have tried to put arguments to support the school's position (which I respect and appreciate) but all I see is an insecure institution refusing to conduct themselves sensibly. If you are the top school, have the courage (and sense) to not make too many offers over the capacity (as they appeared to have done) and trust that parents would choose you over other schools after a considered process. Getting pupils in through aggressive pressure tactics do not help anyone. This is only going to harm the school's reputation in years to come.

Meanwhile my daughter already has given up trusting anything they say now. We have no idea as to which of the multiple emails to trust, and whether in their mind we have an offer or not right now. Will this chaos carry on with timetables and schedules for next 5 years? Even if the school has every right to decide their own admission policy, how difficult it is to organise offers for a school with 80-odd admissions without multiple howlers- other schools all manage well with many more admissions and applicants.

+1. We received an offer on Friday 9th, declined it on Saturday 10th and received an email on Wednesday 14th thanking us for accepting their offer!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now