CLSG offer withdrawals

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: CLSG offer withdrawals

Post by mad? »

mb74 wrote: Our daughter received two academic scholarships and an offer for NLCS. We needed time to process the offers and chose the one that suited our daughter best...I am genuinely pleased the decision was taken out of our hands.
Well done mb74 DD. I'm delighted for you/her. Good luck :D
mad?
Anushka06

Post by Anushka06 »

CestMoi wrote:
Anushka06 wrote:Are there any other schools either for boys or girls that follow exploding offers process?
Channing did last year. I don't know if they are doing it again this year.

Thanks CestMoi
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The offers came through Friday morning and applications opened 9am Monday. That was three days of deciding if you wanted to accept the offer.

City did not control that it was a total of eight hours of accepting applications that filled the places. That came from the demand, not from City. But they did tell parents clearly in the offer that this is how the places would be allocated, first come first served and so the time it took was a measure of how many parents were really sure they wanted City and did something about it.

The longer these schools gave parents to decide the longer some parents would take to decide.

I know a parent who had to go via the town hall to purchase a copy of the birth certificate and still managed to get there in time to get a place.

Whilst the paperwork needed to be delivered by hand it did not have to be by the parents.

Even if parents had gone abroad for half term a scanned copy could have been emailed and printed out and taken down to City.

The one thing City could have done after applications closed for the day at 3pm on the first day was to email out or post on the website what percentage of places had already gone. That would have given parents the opportunity to send someone down for 9am Tuesday to secure one of the remaining places.

Did City mention that this is the way places would be allocated in the Heads talk at the Open days? DG
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

At the end of the day this could - in theory - happen at any indie....couldn't it? Offers are made & 3 weeks given to decide & respond....but all places could go within days. Several N London indies were offering to their waiting within 10 days of offer letters being received last year - I know someone who got an offer on that basis.

If you want the school place & it's been your first choice all along, say yes ASAP!

I may be wrong but do City have slightly less places on offer, their space is clearly limited.

It's a very desirable school to many....and possibly all of those who are now holding places this year do in fact want them.

I don't get why people think necessarily think that the Admissions process & their "treatment" during it makes them think that the teaching at the school will be equally shambolic/draconian/unacceptable to paying customers. Presumably at one time this was a school that you did want for your child? This is a school with amazing results & full of happy high achieving girls....a friend has just been through this process 2 years running & couldn't speak highly enough of the school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City Girls have just sent out an email to all those who have accepted their place asking them to decline all their other offers in order to help the other schools.

Hopefully this will help to get some of the waiting lists moving.

Most of the students I know have more than one offer so if everyone could get down to one or two then the process will get going and more places will become available.

You can only go to one school in September but there are a lot of multiple offers being held onto and anxious parents on the waiting lit for their first choice school. DG
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

You can only go to one school in September but there are a lot of multiple offers being held onto and anxious parents on the waiting lit for their first choice school. DG[/quote]

Well said DG! Be considerate towards others please.
InvisibleHand

Post by InvisibleHand »

Farcically, they managed to send email to those they withdrew offers from and then breezily retracted half an hour later. I know they can do what they want, and admissions doesn't necessarily reflect on teaching etc but it is unkind, to the girls as well.
pinkpanda

Post by pinkpanda »

Thanks DG.

Yes please could you decline your other offers if you have already accepted one. Please be kind and considerate to other anxious parents currently on a waiting list.
hbsseal

Post by hbsseal »

InvisibleHand wrote:Farcically, they managed to send email to those they withdrew offers from and then breezily retracted half an hour later. I know they can do what they want, and admissions doesn't necessarily reflect on teaching etc but it is unkind, to the girls as well.
Farcical is the word.
Last edited by hbsseal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

InvisibleHand wrote:Farcically, they managed to send email to those they withdrew offers from and then breezily retracted half an hour later. I know they can do what they want, and admissions doesn't necessarily reflect on teaching etc but it is unkind, to the girls as well.
Rookie mailmerge error. Normally, I would be sympathetic to the originator...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now