CLSG offer withdrawals

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Choco

Re: CLSG offer withdrawals

Post by Choco »

I don't think the intention is to exclude girls from less wealthy families, or those who have also applied to state schools - but the approach has this effect. Their aim is simply to fill quickly and remove the huge element of uncertainty the school faces.

The school worries about having a typical deadline and then finding that they have over offered and got too many girls - a real problem on that site. Many schools can shuffle things about a bit, but a city based school has far less scope for that. They worry about avoiding this by offering less and ending up not full and having to go to WL, which after offers have gone out for all schools, results in lots if the WL people having accepted another place....so they have to go down and down the WL taking the girls that to be honest, they would rather not. As DAOgroupie says upthread, the exploding offers has allowed them to fill the exact number of places, before most other schools have any idea of if they will fill or over fill or need to go to WL.

There are several impacts of the approach. One is that fewer girls might apply and sit the exam. Yes, it means less application fees, but also less time wasters, because those who really are not intending to take a place or who it is a very long shot for because they prefer other schools won't bother, because they will know they will have to accept a place early and they aren't willing to do this. Yes, it will also mean less people use it as their back up to a state school option - because they will know that they will have to accept and pay the deposit before they know if they've got the state school place. Many of these have applied to Grammars and perhaps City know that if they get those offers, most of them will go there anyway, so theres no real benefit in hanging on for those anyway.

Will they lose some good candidates who don't apply because of the approach? Probably yes, but on balance they have decided that loss is worth it, because there will still be enough good candidates who are more serious about City as a first choice and that the exploding offers system allows them to fill extremely quickly and have much more certainty, which they value very highly.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It also gives them the students and families who really want their dd to go to the school.

These are parents who had already decided City was their choice and that they would be ready to go ahead if they received an offer.

There are also those who have been offered a full bursary who are among those who secured one of those places in the eight hours they were available so it is not just the wealthy.

Parents who read their offer very carefully should not be surprised that places went so quickly. DG
Anushka06

Post by Anushka06 »

Are there any other schools either for boys or girls that follow exploding offers process?
Rhinoo

Post by Rhinoo »

DG clearly has zero tolerance for children whose parents happen to be abroad, or separated, or simply had work to do in the eight hour period available to present £6k in person at the Barbican.
Last edited by Rhinoo on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

Were the places really all filled within 8 hours?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Looks like some sort of gimmick. I suspect that soon WL people will be contacted and asked to make spot decision. Keep debit cards ready to pay deposit.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think some people have had a lucky escape here - not the sort of behaviour one would choose.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not a gimmick. Places were allocated on a first come first served basis and they were all gone by 11am today.

Parents who are still interested can go on the waiting list. DG
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Anushka06 wrote:Are there any other schools either for boys or girls that follow exploding offers process?
Channing did last year. I don't know if they are doing it again this year.
mb74

Post by mb74 »

As the parent of the girl who did not give an “impressive” enough answer at interview, I can certainly say I feel that we had a narrow escape. This type of practice would have been something of a nightmare for us.

Our daughter received two academic scholarships and an offer for NLCS. We needed time to process the offers and chose the one that suited our daughter best. I can’t imagine the feeling of being backed in to a corner and having to make a decision within a few hours.

Good for the parents who could make such an instant decision or afford to lose many thousands of pounds to hold the place while they decide.

At £100 per application for 11+, CLSG made over £80,000 just from applications :shock: Surely that’s enough cash to allow families a few days to weigh up their choices?!

I am genuinely pleased the decision was taken out of our hands.