Habs Boys Vs City (CLSB)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Schoolrunmum

Habs Boys Vs City (CLSB)

Post by Schoolrunmum »

We would be very grateful if parents with Boys at Habs and City could give us some advice based on their own experience.
We are lucky to have offers from Habs(full fee) and City(large scholarship) for our son and would appreciate your help to make the best possible choice for him. It’s our first time in this situation and to be honest the scholarship would help enormously towards not having to count every penny(twice) but we want to make the most informed choice we can.
He is tech/computers/maths inclined.
It would be wonderful if you could share how much support and encouragement the children receive from the teachers and what you value about the school.
In terms of university destinations, does the school genuinely guide your DS or is it mainly an Oxbridge count.
What are the boys like? Our DS is the lone candidate from a state primary and although he makes friends quickly, I’m a little concerned about possible “cliques” from feeder preps. We've been to both schools many times and like them both - but its always been on the "show day".
Interestingly, both schools have new heads this year!
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Boys Vs City (CLSB)

Post by Daogroupie »

You don't mention location and your transport options.

You can't go wrong with these two schools, they are both excellent so you need to focus on which one is a better fit for your family.

HABS is a campus with a very well organised coach system where coaches are shared with the girls school and CITY is in the middle of the city.

For a sporty ds you might prefer HABS as City sports is in a different location. HABS is all on site.

Both schools will welcome warmly all from state primaries and will have plenty of boys who are the only ones from their school.

I know well ds at both schools and I don't hear that any feeder preps dominate.

My dds are friends with ds from both schools and have seen how much support they have received in UCAS applications.

Both schools describe themselves as "unashamedly academic" but are strong in Music, Drama, Sport and Debating as well.

Location and transport is likely to be your main area where you will find one may suit you better.

DG
Schoolrunmum

Post by Schoolrunmum »

Daogroupie wrote:You don't mention location and your transport options.

You can't go wrong with these two schools, they are both excellent so you need to focus on which one is a better fit for your family.

HABS is a campus with a very well organised coach system where coaches are shared with the girls school and CITY is in the middle of the city.

For a sporty ds you might prefer HABS as City sports is in a different location. HABS is all on site.

Both schools will welcome warmly all from state primaries and will have plenty of boys who are the only ones from their school.

I know well ds at both schools and I don't hear that any feeder preps dominate.

My dds are friends with ds from both schools and have seen how much support they have received in UCAS applications.

Both schools describe themselves as "unashamedly academic" but are strong in Music, Drama, Sport and Debating as well.

Location and transport is likely to be your main area where you will find one may suit you better.

DG
Thank you so much for your lovely and detailed reply DG. Deeply appreciated.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

We had to choose from an unexpected scholarship at CLS and other 2 amazing schools, and it was complete agony, 3 years ago. In the end we chose CLS and do not regret it one bit. Don't know yet about uni application help though. The atmosphere is really good, DS really happy, my main concern was public transport vs cosy coach, but same duration though. I think the coach is nice and reassuring for the first 2 years but then the boys like the flexibility and independence of public transport. Ds does sports 4 times a week, they have PE, swimming and games plus football training. Maths is good, they have 3 sets from year 8, but even the "lower" sets end up with As at GCSEs. Lots of geeky clubs at lunchtime too. Homework load manageable, no weekends sports fixtures, a complete ethnic and social mix, openly gay boys apparently, I think it is a great school. They offer a tour for families with offers, during a normal school day if I remember correctly. Good luck with your decision.
Schoolrunmum

Post by Schoolrunmum »

Thank you Bazelle for sharing your experience which is so similar to ours. This is a wonderful support group. Hopefully I will be able to help others like us in the coming years.
Please could you tell me how much school trips cost roughly at City. We’re trying to get our head around how much it’s all going to cost before we jump in the deep end!
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

There is a range of trips really, all optionals, we like the sports one first week of summer holidays, and the London day ones, mostly free.
Cityparent

Post by Cityparent »

I know both schools. One of the biggest differences seems to be homework quantities. Much more at Habs.
My ds is at City and there was no cliqueness whatsoever. Habs means more local(ish) friends I'd say, depending on where you live.

My son prefers taking the train to the idea of a school coach so he's happy.

Habs has a slightly deeper range of sports I think.

Message me if you have specific questions. We love City and have no regrets. The new head seems fantastic and my son is very impressed but I'm sure Habs will have recruited someone amazing too as it's such a strong school.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

If I had the choice you have, I’d go for Habs. Both schools are excellent but Habs has the luxury of having a very green location - lots of space for outdoor activities, running around and so on. But to be honest, where you are in London should be the only factor separating these excellent schools.

I don’t know about City but I have seen many superb drama productions at Habs as well well.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cityparent

Post by Cityparent »

Also about league table positions, of course Habs comes higher but I believe they ask more weaker performers to leave before exam years. I might be completely wrong on this.

Son gets almost no weekend homework, whereas Habs friends get a couple of hours. Midweek he gets maybe 40minutes a day- a lot less too. Maybe Habs does better due to more homework!?

Trips vary and are optional anyway.

Unless the journey is way worse, a reduced fee place at City wins every time surely.
AML

Post by AML »

Ignoring leagues tables, i think it comes down to city experience vs ‘country’ experience. Both are highly reputable schools.

Fees are cheaper at City but am sure you’re aware of that. Due to children coming from afar plus faith groups, weekend commitments are few at city. So if your son is sporty your time (and money) could be spent on local sporting activities. Football is a big thing at City and they do not offer rugby.

Going on a train children become more street wise and independent from an early age. We had a scholarship from city but felt as a family going into town for all the events was too much; parents evening, sports, concerts etc As parents we like to get involved in school life, as well taking younger siblings to their brothers events which would be too onerous.

It’s a personal decision though, these factors may not be important to you.

Socially I think children, while able to jump on a tube and meet their friends, they are geographically more spread out. Where’s haBs children will have a greater ‘local’ pool of friends.

Good luck, a lovely position to be in!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now