Habs Boys Vs City (CLSB)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
superdifey

Re: Habs Boys Vs City (CLSB)

Post by superdifey »

We had to make the same decision 5 yrs ago for our DS and it was a very tough decision! We went to offer holders morning at City and did a 'make your mind up tour' at Habs and it was only when comparing the two afterwards did the decision become clearer.

We weren't concerned about journey times to either (about the same), we weren't bothered about him using public transport (1 direct train from us to City) and we weren't concerned about social arrangements as we knew there would be a large group of kids from close to us no matter which school we picked, so those issues didn't factor in our decision making.

For us there were 2 things that stood out at Habs that made us opt for Habs over City.

Firstly, the space. You can't compare the space at Habs to the space at City. This really became apparent when we were at the coffee morning tour. The bell rang for the end of class, and the corridors filled up with boys, and suddenly the whole area felt really small. At Habs everything felt so much bigger and roomier. My son isn't sporty, so the sports grounds at Habs weren't a particular selling point for us.

But the thing that really swung it for us was actually witnessing lessons in both schools. At City, the boys were very serious, even in subjects like art and pottery, there was a lot of silence and fierce concentration, and it didn't feel there was much interaction in the classes. At Habs, the boys were really enthusiastically debating and discussing things with the teachers, the classrooms were full of energy, the boys leaning forward in their seats eager to listen and take part. We felt that this was the atmosphere that would be the best learning environment for our son.

He has been really happy at Habs, and I do feel we made the right decision for him. Would he have been happy at City and done well? Absolutey! So in one way you can't go wrong!

Also they wanted a term's fees deposits at City, rather than £1000 at Habs (not sure if that's still the case).

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Yes, City asked for a full term deposit and I remember my husband's reaction... However an Excel spreadsheet comparing the fees for both schools over 7 years taking into account the CLS scholarship, a 6% fees increase per year, the money of the coach compared to public transport was an eye opener...
Schoolrunmum

Post by Schoolrunmum »

Thank you all for sharing your experience so generously. All the results are now out for us. DS has done very well, bless him. We’ve got the top state grammar school of choice but accepted the indie place with scholarship as the deadline was a few hours before eadmissions released their result today.
However, we have thought and thought and thought it over and DS and us - as a family, are happy with our decision. So it’s Onward Ho!
Just happy that we have the one child and don’t have to go through 11+ again. But I’m more than happy to share our journey with the many others who come on here for advice, like I did.
isx99

Post by isx99 »

I just wanted to check - aren't the scholarships at CLSB only worth £250? I thought they had done away with the large scholarships in favour of partial and full bursaries.
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

Yes, you are correct. They sent us an e-mail last year. My son sat 13+, not sure about 11+.
Rhinoo

Post by Rhinoo »

isx99 wrote:I just wanted to check - aren't the scholarships at CLSB only worth £250? I thought they had done away with the large scholarships in favour of partial and full bursaries.
Yes, I believe the 25% scholarships have gone. Not sure if it's £250 per term or £250 full stop, but either way it's a bit of a drop in the ocean.
isx99

Post by isx99 »

Thanks for clarifying that. The OP mentioned a large scholarship when I think they meant a means tested bursary. It's helpful for people to know if they are interested in applying to the school.
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

I think it has just changed, as we received the e-mail around Nov-Dec last year. City used to be quite generous in their scholarships and despite the fees increase it still offers a very good value for money compared to other schools in London.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

That's a shame about the scholarships been stopped at CLS, we wouldn't have qualified for a means tested bursary (I think!) but the scholarship on top of the already reduced City fees was making a big difference and made us choose CLS. I am glad we did in the end, but I doubt we would have without this unexpected scholarship as we were so focused on another school.
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

I know of two boys who had lovely 30% music scholarships. So does the mean that they no longer receive them or does this just apply for the new intake?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now