RMS vs St Helens

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shootmenow

Re: RMS vs St Helens

Post by shootmenow »

DAO- Not sure in which universe NLCS isn't hard to get into. Are you comparing applicant numbers to grammar schools who don't have catchments and get thousands sitting?

It is true that clever schools who understand the Oxbridge system will try to avoid more than one DC sitting for any one subject at each College. In a year group of 110 or so at NLCS (or any of the others at the top of the tables), that's not tough. In DD1's year and subject, two girls were pooled for the same College at Cambridge. It was really uncomfortable for them. Oxford does not pool. All indirect offers are done through the initial interview process. Most of DD1's friends got offers from the College they applied to, some to the 2nd College they interviewed at, and a very few got Open Offers and ended up at their sponsoring Colleges. Roughly 70% of the year applied. 40 got offers.39 made their offers. 38 went.

I have little advice for the OP other than the experience of a friend who moved her DD from Habs to RMS because she was struggling academically - much less sympathetic regime under Mrs. Radice. Her DD really wasn't pushed and was bright enough to get away with the bare minimum....until she came a cropper at A Levels. Another friend had two DDs there who were less bright but very motivated and did well.
duopop

Post by duopop »

Hi
I'm sure both schools will be hosting some sort of offer holders event - why not go along and speak to the current pupils, staff, have another tour of the school?
Amber

Post by Amber »

shootmenow wrote:Oxford does not pool.
It does. It is a different system, but it does.
shootmenow wrote:Roughly 70% of the year applied. 40 got offers.39 made their offers. 38 went.
Huge percentage! To me that suggests a lack of imagination by the school's careers advisers, but that is a whole other thread.

Advice to OP - go to the school you like best. End of really.
hertslady

Post by hertslady »

As opposed to my school - 30 years ago and not a worthwhile sample size but:
After the first girl ever got in, the head of the college wrote to the headmaster saying "send more like her", then over 4 years 4 more applied, all got in.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Regarding your comment on the NLCS entrance DAO, do you think this will change much once they switch to their new 'tutor proof' cognitive ability type assessment? Would anyone know what ballpark level of ability profile might be needed for this? E.g. top 5% CATs type scores? Or higher? And how far beyond this for scholarship application?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now