westminster or habs?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
amma

westminster or habs?

Post by amma »

Hi,

This is about 7+ admission. Apologies for making this post in a 11+ admissions forum. I couldn't find a 7+ admissions forum, hence taking this liberty.

We are new to London. My son got offer letters from Westminster School and Habs Boys for 7+. How do these two schools compare? Can you please give us some inputs to help us decide? Thank you so much.

Amma
asha

Post by asha »

It would depend on where you live.

Westminster has a fantastic reputation and it is a great feat to be selected. Your son will be with the very best academically.

I don't know much about Habs, but I think it is a very sought after school for those living in North and NW London.
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

My DS is a bit away from all of this thankfully I won't be thinking about boy's and the 7 plus for a while yet as we are in the middle of ll plus **** for DD. But.. It depends on where you live. But it's my understanding that Westminster is an absolute prize academically and that most people would only consider passing up on this for Colet Court and even then it would depend on what sort of boy your son is. Ultimately he has done very well to get this place, i think there are only about 20-30 places and literally hundreds applying and only about 60 even getting interviews. Maybe my information isn't exact but that is certainly the impression I get. He is obviously very smart so well done anyway.
amma

Post by amma »

thank you so much for your inputs, asha and Londongirl...
simon

Post by simon »

I think you need to get the feel of the school. When I was at Cambridge, the most precocious and generally obnoxious guys were from Westminster, whereas the Habs boys were very hard working and quietly confident and were much higher achievers that those from Westminster who seemed content to live off the fat of the earth. The boys from Westminster also seemed to have had the freedom to roam round London from a quite early age. Times might have changed though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now