Sutton High or Nonsuch

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alwaysadad

Sutton High or Nonsuch

Post by alwaysadad »

I would like some pointers in considering SHS or NSH. DD has offer from SHS and has a score for NHS which on past year criteria should allow her a place. We live 3 miles from both schools. Fees will be minimal as most covered by bursary for SHS. DD likes SHS but playground discussion (Parents) suggest NHS better academically and would save on top up needed for fees. DD is very bright and enjoys sports. I like SHS as the class would be smaller, I assume she will have more attention to allow her to flourish. I also feel that NHS will provide more competition and over the years improve her grades to compete Nationally. They are both excellent schools but have I missed any considerations which can sway our decisions. Thank you.
Amber

Re: Sutton High or Nonsuch

Post by Amber »

alwaysadad wrote: as the class would be smaller, I assume she will have more attention to allow her to flourish. I also feel that NHS will provide more competition and over the years improve her grades to compete Nationally.
There is your dilemma in a nutshell. I would challenge both of those assertions and say that small classes do not necessarily lead to a greater 'allowance to flourish' - lots of research on that, and in short, not proven at all. On the matter of competing nationally - what exactly do you mean? I assume not Mastermind, but do you see your daughter in some kind of academic competition then? Chances are whichever of these schools you select she will come out with pretty identical grades 5 years down the line, so my advice would be pick the one you like the atmosphere of best. Pastoral care come into it anywhere for you? That would always be my first criterion.
Tid

Post by Tid »

According to Sunday Times Parent Power league tables (If you are interested) In 2017 Nonsuch achieved 82.3% of A-Levels grades at A*-B compared to Sutton High's 84.8%. At GCSE Nonsuch achieved 85.1% at grades A*-A compared to Sutton High's 66%. In forming their league tables the Sunday Times double weight A-level results. If you factored Nonsuch's results into the league table of the Top 150 Independent schools in the entire country Nonsuch would be in about 76th place compared to Sutton High's 95th place.

So academically Nonsuch does outperform Sutton High at GCSE, but not at A level. (at least in 2017)

I have a daughter at Sutton who is a fairly quiet retiring girl, and we chose Sutton for her so she gets a chance to flourish in that less intense and smaller environment. We are quite happy with the choice we made. The teachers all know her, and us, she gets plenty of chance to participate in clubs and sports, and it certainly seems to be quite a personal experience rather than being lost in the crowd (each year intake is only about 75 I think as opposed to 210 at Nonsuch). This suits her down to the ground.

In terms of academic competition, seeing as classes are probably put in sets in both schools, and the top performing girls at each are probably going to be achieving pretty much all A*-A, I don't know that this would be a tremendous factor?

Anecdotally I have heard that Nonsuch can be quite an intense environment and many girls that were heavily tutored to get in are tutored throughout their time there to keep up. I have no way of knowing if there is the slightest of truths in these anecdotes however.

Good luck making your decision.
Choco

Post by Choco »

Here I would choose Nonsuch, if travel is similar.

In my view, it's only worth paying (even a chunk of the fees rather than all) for a truly top Independnet that offers something pretty unique, which most actually don't - so one if the very big names offering something quite unique, if there is a great State option on the table too. It may well be worth paying for a lesser Independent if the State alternatives were not great.

However, these schools are similar in attainment with the State option being equal or better. Yes, there will be smaller classes and more resources, but here you are choosing between 2 very good options - it is splitting hairs to be able to spit which is best and neither clearly has a lead. So.....go with the free option and get the benefit of saving the money and your DD missing with a cohort which will probably have less of a tail, in terms of ability. That's what I would do given those choices.
Tid

Post by Tid »

Choco makes valid points, but it depends how much you value the smaller school/private/personal experience and how much the bursary is. Choco is also right in that these are two good schools and you can't really go wrong, you just have to decide which one is most right!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now