St. Paul's Boys admission - our experience

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ellefdo

Re: St. Paul's Boys admission - our experience

Post by ellefdo »

isx99 wrote:Isn't St Paul's supposed to be "needs blind" in its application process; such that provided a boy has met their selection criteria for admission they will offer a bursary if needed? A boy would not necessarily need to be of scholarship standard to be offered a bursary place.

OP I hope you don't mind me asking - was your son offered a place at St Paul's after, and if so will you be accepting the offer? I noticed from the North London/Herts board that you also had a QE offer, will you be taking this instead?
We have taken up a place at a different independent school which suited our son and our requirements better.
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

Thank you for sharing your experience and well done to your son for his achievements. :)
iMum

Post by iMum »

"There a number n. n ends in a 9. When the 9 is moved to the front of the number, the new number is exactly 9 times greater than n. What is the value of n?"
In regards to the above question, I am very curious to know would the question says "There is a number n. n ends in a 9. When the 9 is moved to the front and the number is reversed, the new number is exactly 9 times greater than n. What is the value of n?"
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

I doubt this is the case. Just passing or meeting admission criteria would not necessarily win candidates a bursary even when eligible based on parental income.

DC that win bursaries are usually of scholarship or near scholarship level. Schools generally use scholarships and bursaries to attract the strongest candidates that they are really keen to have;the top performers in their entrance examination/interview.

In fact that's the point of bursaries; to encourage the brightest DC to apply to and have a fair shot at attending these top indies when parental income would ordinarily not be able to cover fees.
expat

Post by expat »

ellefdo wrote:One of the questions was 1,2,4,7,11,16,21 - what is the 2018th term of this sequence.
The question as written above is unlikely to be possible. Otoh, 1,2,4,7,11,16,22 is fairly straightforward if a child is familiar with triangular numbers. The 2018th term of the sequence is the 2017th triangular number plus 1, so (2017 * 2018) / 2 + 1 = 2035154
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I doubt this is the case. Just passing or meeting admission criteria would not necessarily win candidates a bursary even when eligible based on parental income.
I'm not sure, but I think that's the point at St Paul's - they only have to be eligible for admission, then they are means tested (every year).
scary mum
ellefdo

Post by ellefdo »

iMum wrote:"There a number n. n ends in a 9. When the 9 is moved to the front of the number, the new number is exactly 9 times greater than n. What is the value of n?"
In regards to the above question, I am very curious to know would the question says "There is a number n. n ends in a 9. When the 9 is moved to the front and the number is reversed, the new number is exactly 9 times greater than n. What is the value of n?"
Goodness -that would make it even more complicated!
I'm fairly positive the question I saw was as the previous poster had mentioned.
ellefdo

Post by ellefdo »

expat wrote:
ellefdo wrote:One of the questions was 1,2,4,7,11,16,21 - what is the 2018th term of this sequence.
The question as written above is unlikely to be possible. Otoh, 1,2,4,7,11,16,22 is fairly straightforward if a child is familiar with triangular numbers. The 2018th term of the sequence is the 2017th triangular number plus 1, so (2017 * 2018) / 2 + 1 = 2035154
Your version makes more sense yes - I may well have made the mistake when typing out the sequence.
As you say - it's straightforward enough if a child knows the (n(n+1))/2 that applies to triangular numbers - my son had figured out that it was triangular numbers +1 but didn't know the equation to apply to get the nth number of the sequence.
ElgarPlayer

Post by ElgarPlayer »

iMum wrote:"There a number n. n ends in a 9. When the 9 is moved to the front of the number, the new number is exactly 9 times greater than n. What is the value of n?"
More accurate, the question should be described as
"There a number n. n ends in a 9. When the 9 is moved to the front of the number, the new number is exactly 9 times of n. What is the value of n?"
V&J

Post by V&J »

:)
Last edited by V&J on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.