NLCS - New Head

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vinb7

NLCS - New Head

Post by vinb7 »

Hi

I just wanted to find out from parents who have DDs at the school on the new head that started last year? I found her uninspiring at the open day and sure it may have had an impact on choosing the school.

Thanks
shootmenow

Re: NLCS - New Head

Post by shootmenow »

Hi
Last year you would have met the acting Head not the new Head, Mrs. Clark. So far, I really like Mrs Clark. She's very informal and chatty. All eyes were on her for the year 13 satirical sketch show ( it's always quite edgy) and she laughed like a drain. She has started a weekly email to parents discussing the week's events which is lovely. My impression is that she's getting stuck in and learning about the school. She did surprise/freak out DD2 by addressing her by name in the corridor- seems to be learning all of the girls' names (and we are being patient and good humoured about mispronunciation ;) .
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

Hi VinB

Will your daughter be starting there in Sept?

I see from previous boards you were contemplating between St Albans and Latymer.

Mrs Clark is extremely hands on and has been stuck in to school life from day one. She has “ big boots” to fill and so far has been doing a good job. I hear that NLCS needed a fresh face. She sends out a weekly newsletter on Friday with everything that has happened that week including her own experiences. She also teachers my daughter History and her lessons are fuelled with excitement and passion about the subject (feedback from DD)

I met her at parents evening and she didn’t even look down at her sheet to check her notes regards to our DD. She described her style, quality and attitude to work exactly as we know her.

She also comes to cheer the girls at netball matches if they are played at home on the weekend. Her engagement with the girls and the welcoming feel she has about her is definitely a plus for the school.

Hope this helps.
expat

Post by expat »

Mrs Clark gave a speech at the 11+ offer holders open day. I believe she said that she'd only started in January. I found her to be quite enthusiastic and authentic. She didn't come across as a professional salesman - and I mean that as a compliment.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

She's much less glossy than Mrs. McCabe but that's just superficial. Mrs. Clark hasn't rushed to change anything which is reassuring. I experienced a change of Head in another school where the newbie made lots of terrible changes before getting to know the culture and listening to the girls , teachers and parents. Total disaster.
I am glad that the one immediate change is that the international schools thing will be separated from the day to day business of running the school. It's funding the goal of 20% bursary provision (and climbing) but I was sick of the distraction.
has2bme

Post by has2bme »

My daughter has just started in September, Mrs Clark has since she began headship has been fully immersed in getting to know the pupils and school life. I have seen her personally at various yr 7 events (sports, music, charity etc) The weekly updates in the newsletter, give an impression that she is positive, encouraging, approachable and extremely passionate about the school and the pupils. So far so good! I think She seems to be getting to know the school throughly.
vinb7

Post by vinb7 »

Very Helpful - Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now