Schools..Bucks/North London

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

Re: Schools..Bucks/North London

Post by mm23292 »

Apologies for the digression, but my motives in posing the original question, are purely towards trying to understand which schools might be considered good high achieving grammar alternatives. Not in terms of how one gets there, but in terms of the environment they present for encouraging and nurturing academic growth. I certainly wasn't trying to extol the virtues of one over the other, I was merely challenging the assertion that Bucks indies were not by and large, academic. And more so, that this could be safely generalised on the basis of a selection process which happens to be supported by an undeniably abundant tutorial industry!
I guess a lot depends on our respective interpretations of what we term, an academic school. And unfortunately, my understanding is not confined to whether the cohort is predominantly 11plus successful or not. Because I don't think that one criteria can generally be deemed reflective. That is certainly not to say that I think schools that select in this way, are in any way inferior. As you rightly point out Kenyancowgirl, there are many more factors to consider, in terms of determining what makes a good school, and both GS and independent schools, can offer learning environments that are conducive to academic achievement. Finding the one that fits a particular child best, is of course another matter!
hertslady

Post by hertslady »

I find some of the replies on this site are really viciously pro grammar school over independent (not particularly this thread but more generally. It seems to come from a bit of a chip on the shoulder mentality that is not necessary.

I don't disagree that not spending and going to grammar is often the best option if it is available to you, the point I'm trying to make, at the risk of adding grist to the grammar fans' mill, is that often the people who send kids to independent are doing so because the grammar option is not available or because their child is perhaps a little bit more vulnerable than most for whatever reason. We are not all millionaires in other words. Would be nice if the grammar people would calm down a bit on this and realise how lucky they are and perhaps be a bit more grateful that we're paying to educate their children as well as ours!
Sorry - feeling a bit menopausal - excuse the grenade lobbed into the eleven plus site :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We are talking about alternatives in Buckinghamshire where we have a fully selective LA. No-one I know would choose to pay for a Private school in Bucks if their child qualifies for a GS.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

hertslady wrote: Would be nice if the grammar people would calm down a bit on this and realise how lucky they are and perhaps be a bit more grateful that we're paying to educate their children as well as ours!
You can't just say something like that and put a smiley face and hope people will just accept what you say....

Would you like grammar people to doff their caps as you drive past, too? :shock: You, like everyone else, are entitled to a state education - you choose to pay for private fees, whether you are a millionaire or not, this "choice" is NOT available to 95%+ of the population in any shape or form....perhaps you should be grateful that you have that choice and calm down a bit on this and realise actually how lucky you are! :shock:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:We are talking about alternatives in Buckinghamshire where we have a fully selective LA. No-one I know would choose to pay for a Private school in Bucks if their child qualifies for a GS.
Indeed, although the OP has asked about North London as well.
mad?
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I'm afraid that assertion is just not true. Aside from the many people I know who didn't bother taking the test at all. I know quite a few people, who have qualified for GS, but chose a Bucks or Bucks local indie instead. My daughter has a number of friends who passed the 11plus, but chose to stay or go independent. Some in year 7, some further on. She herself decided against a 6th form GS place, and we are completely happy with that decision. It has been the right decision for her. We certainly don't look at any school on the basis of how it's cohort have gained their place. Indeed, today's BBC article on grammar schools is not exactly contradictory either?! Not that I agree one way or another. I am simply looking at what we feel is best for our child. And if that's a privileged choice we eventually have with our youngest, I would hope to be able to make an equally well informed decision.
There are various reasons why some people don't opt for grammar given the choice. Our neighbours boy is very clever, yet autistic, and they have decided against. There have been many children from our daughter's prep who have passed 11plus, but have chosen to take up scholarships instead. I'm not sure why this is considered so incomprehensible, I certainly didn't expect it to be viewed quite so negatively.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

True but there were questions about Bucks Private schools and, in my opinion, there are few good options.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I can't comment on other Bucks schools, but GCSE results at my daughter's school, are quite impressive when you consider they are predominantly 11plus non takers or non achievers. They may have a few more 'outliers' yes, but by and large the girls perform very well. And they are well balanced happy girls to boot.
I can't say GS could have offered her any better, other than the fact that it was free!

Also looking at RMS results, they don't seem too dissimilar to those of GS, not Bucks I know, but close enough :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

RMS is not in Bucks as a poster has already pointed out. Where are these 'good' Private options in Bucks? I'm genuinely interested to know.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I did acknowledge the RMS location, but my original question was not confined to Bucks specifically. Herts Berks & North London or wherever else is accessible.
As for Bucks schools specifically, I can only comment on the one I know. And while I know there are other schools such as Thorpe & Pipers that have often been branded as not terribly academic, I know of children who have performed very well at those schools too, and their parents were very happy. Regardless of which schools I do or don't know, I can only base my opinion on my own experience, and hope that anyone else with other first hand experience, might have been willing to share. Broad brush comments tend to raise eyebrows, whether they are right or wrong.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now