Music, specifically cello at NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mb74

Re: Music, specifically cello at NLCS

Post by mb74 »

shootmenow wrote:Have a look at the website for a taste of how many concerts, trips and ensembles are on offer. It will be a matter not of finding opportunities but of balancing the number of music activities with exploration of new interests. Unless your DD is single-mindedly keen, she should leave some time for trying out other clubs at lunch and break. Have a listen to year 8s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHcEwGUCGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for this, it has just brightened my morning!

I fear my daugther is going to join every club possible shootmenow. She's desperately keen to start a judo club at the school if enough girls are interested. Who knows, there might be even more competition for her enthusiasm for just about everything :wink:
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Ah, the 'NLCS syndrome'! Here's the progression of the disease....DD joins EVERYTHING. Spends half of lunch and all of long break sprinting from one club to the next (sometimes clutching takeaway sandwich lunch and eating while running). By year 9, exhaustion, the lure of chatting with friends under a tree and chronic indigestion brings a halt to the over-ambitious clubbing. By the close of year 9, DD's Student Profile (you'll see what this is) is nearly blank. A form tutor in year 10 will remind DD that there's lots of stuff going on and maybe she should do some of it. DD will select the things that really interest her and as year 11 rolls around and the symposia and Drummond lectures open to her, the cycle begins again- with additional after-school subject conferences and subject themed dinners, MUN, concerts, theatre trips...... In year 12, DD will start thinking about which Senior Society she would like to run and begin to slowly shed the peripheral stuff to regain time to sit in the AthCaf (you'll see) and chat with friends- because that is important too.
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

“Joins everything” I know what that looks like! The take-away panini and the dash to do more than the day allows them to.
My DD is in the Orchestra and leaves her instrument at school some days. Wednesday lunch is orchestra practice and she leaves her violin behind as she has a lesson the next day.

It’s a busy school mb74 and it’s great that your daughter enjoys the extra curricular along side her academic. I think it’s very important if that’s what she thrives on.

Good luck in September!
mb74

Post by mb74 »

It all sounds so exciting although I suspect there are not going to be enough hours in the day!

Thank you both for replying.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now