13+ Sports scholarship? Or excellent sporting opportunities?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: 13+ Sports scholarship? Or excellent sporting opportunit

Post by kenyancowgirl »

TLC11 wrote:Thank you everyone! Will start looking into all of your suggestions! I particularly like the look of Millfield. Does anyone have any experience of scholarships / bursaries for this school? Thank you!
Try here:
https://millfieldschool.com/admissions/ ... -bursaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here, for Abingdon:
https://www.abingdon.org.uk/scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We know several people who have entered Millfield with scholarships/bursaries - the sports ones were all playing at National level but were entering in the 6th Form. I know a lot about Abingdon School and have a lot of respect for its' ability to turn out boys with confidence but not a trace of arrogance (different to a boys private school local to us :shock: ) - and was commended by the private school version of Ofsted on this very fact! You can board there but the majority are day pupils.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I understand that Millfield does award scholarships of up to 50% for sporting prowess alone, but the standard required is very high.
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not sure where your DS is at school OP but presumably not in Bucks itself? Several Uppers have good sports provision and, in my experience, joining clubs gets you in the County training squads ahead of school recommendations.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thanks again everyone for your replies. Abingdon is a bit far to travel to daily from where we are. He is at school in Bucks and attends every Sports club going at his current school - he does something every day now the summer term has arrived. He has been picked for county cross country and athletics at school and his PE teacher really pushes him.

I think he is good (but then he is my child and I am biased!) but we have been told several times he is talented.

As he is not great academically and sport is his 'gift' I dont want him to miss out on any opportunities which is why I am looking at scholarships for him. He might not be of the required standard, I dont know, but we wont know unless we try? He is happy at his current school though and its 5 minutes from home so that will all be taken into consideration.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are no Bucks comps ... joining sports clubs ids the easiest way ahead. If you PM me roughly where you are I'll suggest a better Upper if there is one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now