WA Day places?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

WA Day places?

Post by mm23292 »

Does anyone have any info or experience with regards day places at Wycombe Abbey? How are they allocated and are they actively discouraged?
With regards WA in general, how does entry requirement compare with North London consortium schools? And would WA be considered academically superior to somewhere like St. Helens or HABS? Thank you!
loobylou

Re: WA Day places?

Post by loobylou »

The only person I know at WA started there 2 years ago and wanted boarding so did not sit the other exams. However her mother told me she would have had no chance with the grammars and was very unlikely to have got a place at Habs (comparing her with the other girls who tried to get places from her indie primary).
I do know she is happy there but I don't think she is finding it hard work and is "average" in terms of academic "ability".
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know girls who have applied to WA and don't know of any who failed to get in.

I would put the level much lower than Habs and St Helens. DG
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Day girls are few and far between from what I understand. And Daygirls hate it because they miss out on a lot - there are just not enough of them in each yeargroup.
As far as the entrance exam: There was one girl in DD2’s class who moved to WA after finishing Habs juniors. Her mum told me she ended up doing a load of prep with her DD (2 hours a day for a few months). I don’t know if this was overkill on the mums part or not. She genuinely believed that her DD hadn’t covered enough of the Common Entrance curriculum in science in particular. Mum was a doctor so prepped DD herself with science that sounded like Y9/10 rather than standard junior school material.
That’s all I know about it I am afraid.
Oh, and if you are interested in applying I would recommend you register several years ahead of time as they cap the number of applicants (and will sometimes close the list 6-12 months ahead of the registration deadline - so you can’t even take the assessments!).
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you, that’s an important aspect I do agree. Boarding is not really an option, so that would have ruled it out on that basis alone!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now