VR and NVR for independent schools - advice please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum S

VR and NVR for independent schools - advice please!

Post by Mum S »

Hi,

I need some advice on VR and NVR for independent schools please!

Which books are recommended for VR and NVR for independent schools in the southwest London area (e.g. Wimbledon High, Sutton High, Kingston Grammar)? I presume these schools use GL rather than CEM type questions? Are Bond VR and NVR books deemed too easy? Is it advisable to use a variety of books?

Is it necessary to cover both standard format and multiple choice, or should you find out directly from the schools which format they use? Also, is anybody aware of any computerised element to the exams for these schools?

If applying to independent schools, at what point in Year 5 is it advisable to do the GL Assessment VR and NVR test papers?

Is it enough to do VR and NVR papers at home, under timed conditions, rather than be specifically tutored in these subjects?

Lots of questions I know, but any advice is much appreciated, thank you!
squareofthewicket

Re: VR and NVR for independent schools - advice please!

Post by squareofthewicket »

Mum S wrote:Hi,

I need some advice on VR and NVR for independent schools please!

Which books are recommended for VR and NVR for independent schools in the southwest London area (e.g. Wimbledon High, Sutton High, Kingston Grammar)? I presume these schools use GL rather than CEM type questions? Are Bond VR and NVR books deemed too easy? Is it advisable to use a variety of books?
Wimbledon High definitely test on VR/NVR as per their website.
KGS use a combination of MC + Standard Format for both English & Maths. There is no VR/NVR paper.
Mum S wrote:Is it necessary to cover both standard format and multiple choice, or should you find out directly from the schools which format they use? Also, is anybody aware of any computerised element to the exams for these schools?
The Schools Admissions page usually has a lot of information regarding the tests, so it is the best place to start. If you are targeting both Wimbledon High & KGS, you will need to cover both MC & Standard format with your DC as the exam formats for the 2 schools are different.
Mum S wrote:If applying to independent schools, at what point in Year 5 is it advisable to do the GL Assessment VR and NVR test papers?

Is it enough to do VR and NVR papers at home, under timed conditions, rather than be specifically tutored in these subjects?

Lots of questions I know, but any advice is much appreciated, thank you!
Most Prep schools start the preparation for Independent Secondary schools in first term of Year 6. It seems to be a good time to start.

Hope this helps.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Most Prep schools start the preparation for Independent Secondary schools in first term of Year 6. It seems to be a good time to start.
Our prep school started formal exams prep after Christmas year 5, and were already doing a bit of VR and NVR papers in year 4.

And some years parents get over anxious and on top of proper prep school preparations will also hire personal tutors or enroll their DCs in tutoring classes (or both), some parents have nerves of steel and resist the pressure (or can't afford it) and work with their children at home, but in any case I think some sort of preparation is needed. IMO, slowly but surely is better than last minute cramming. And reading is paramount.

Are you in a prep school?
squareofthewicket

Bazelle wrote: Are you in a prep school?
My DD was in a Prep school and will start in a Grammar School in September.
Mum S

Post by Mum S »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Any book recommendations for VR and NVR, especially for Wimbledon High?

Thanks again!
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

KGS did VR this year so would guess they still do. Apparently they place a lot of importance on it- certainly I think my daughter's strong maths and VR made up for her being a bit rubbish at comprehension...

Most tutors around us don't cover VR and NVR. I just bought a variety of books-can't really remember which ones- Bond, GL, CGP etc and tried to do little and often. VR she found easy despite her vocabulary not being particularly good, NVR not so much, but she only had NVR at WHS I think, and possibly in Ibstock's computerised test?

I think the independent schools set their own VR/NVR so will not necessarily follow any particular type, unlike the grammar schools.

We did quite a few 10 minute test and also some timed ones at start of Y6 but with the new WHS exams I would probably start earlier.

Also worth subscribing to Planet BOFA- they do online VR and NVR and sometimes daughter was keener to do these.

Daughter also did the 10 plus for KGS (didn't get in). Main problem with the VR was that she hadn't seen the answer sheets they use- i.e. the pre printed ones that you mark with a little line. Definitely worth looking at them. Some of the packs of papers you get will have them included. Bond books don't and are probably a bit easy so go up to at least 11-12.
Mum S

Post by Mum S »

Thank you hellothere!

Since independent schools may set their own VR and NVR, should you cover both GL and CEM type questions (if you are only applying to independent schools)?

Thanks again!
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

To be honest I don't really know what the differences are between the different types of questions- hence my rather haphazard approach!
If WHS is your aim I'd just get a variety of different books and work through them. Don't worry too much about timing at the beginning. I found one of the problems was getting my daughter to miss out questions if she couldn't do them. The temptation is to spend ages on one question and then miss out doing others they could do easily. Daughter found nets and rotational symmetry difficult so tried to get her just to miss them out.
I think WHS is a bit of an unknown. I know a number of girls who didn't get in there despite getting offers from LEH, Putney etc. They tended to be highly prepped prep school girls.
Purrie1974

Post by Purrie1974 »

Hi could anyone advise which Bond books are best to practice for Whitgift School please?
squareofthewicket

hellothere wrote:KGS did VR this year so would guess they still do. Apparently they place a lot of importance on it- certainly I think my daughter's strong maths and VR made up for her being a bit rubbish at comprehension...

Most tutors around us don't cover VR and NVR. I just bought a variety of books-can't really remember which ones- Bond, GL, CGP etc and tried to do little and often. VR she found easy despite her vocabulary not being particularly good, NVR not so much, but she only had NVR at WHS I think, and possibly in Ibstock's computerised test?

I think the independent schools set their own VR/NVR so will not necessarily follow any particular type, unlike the grammar schools.

We did quite a few 10 minute test and also some timed ones at start of Y6 but with the new WHS exams I would probably start earlier.

Also worth subscribing to Planet BOFA- they do online VR and NVR and sometimes daughter was keener to do these.

Daughter also did the 10 plus for KGS (didn't get in). Main problem with the VR was that she hadn't seen the answer sheets they use- i.e. the pre printed ones that you mark with a little line. Definitely worth looking at them. Some of the packs of papers you get will have them included. Bond books don't and are probably a bit easy so go up to at least 11-12.

Extract from KGS Admissions page
There are 110 places available for 11+ entry in September 2019. Deadline for submission of applications is Monday 3rd December 2018.

Examination papers are taken in English, Mathematics and Verbal Reasoning. Candidates will also be invited for a one-to-one interview with a member of staff which will either be of a general nature, or with an English or Mathematics focus (depending on the weaker subject).

The Mathematics and English papers are produced in-house and sample questions are available below.

They indeed have the VR test but don't mention who produces the paper. How strange!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now