Independent schools for boys near Aylesbury or alternatives

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lovebooks

Independent schools for boys near Aylesbury or alternatives

Post by lovebooks »

After days and days of internet research, we still do not know where our DS starts yr 7 in September.

His 11 plus score could not be appealed, and we now go through the pain of having a son in a GS (with excellent results and achievements, and every opportunity that comes with it) and another one with a school that has not even been built. The uncertainty is giving us a feeling of agony. DS is not mature enough to express his own feelings and opinions, however we can see and feel that he feels sad and left out.

Therefore we turned our attention to the independent schools in the area. Or, rather, the lack of them.

Has anybody had any similar experiences? Has anybody got a word of advice for us? Would any independent school even take us at such short notice? We made an enquiry with a school near Buckingham, 19 odd miles away. We are waiting for an answer...

Any response would be much appreciated
Last edited by lovebooks on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Re: Independent schools for boys near Aylesbury or alternati

Post by ToadMum »

lovebooks wrote:After days and days of internet research, we still do not know where our DS will start yr 7 in September.

His 11 plus score could not be appealed, and we now go through the pain of having a son in a GS (with excellent results and achievements, and every opportunity that comes with it) and another one with a school that has not even been built. The uncertainty is giving us a feeling of agony. DS is not mature enough to express his own feelings and opinions, however we can see and feel that he feels sad and left out.

Therefore we turned our attention to the independent schools in the area. Or, rather, the lack of them.

Has anybody had any similar experiences? Has anybody got a word of advice for us? Would any independent school even take us at such short notice? We made an enquiry with a school near Buckingham, 19 odd miles away. We are waiting for an answer...

Any response would be much appreciated
Do you mean that your DS had to be allocated a place at the nearest undersubscribed school which had a place - because none of the preferences you expressed on your CAF could be met - and that this is a new Free School which is opening in temporary accommodation? If that is the case, in that situation I would explain to my child that although we would keep his name on the waiting list for other preferred non-selective schools and that he the chance arises to have another try for the grammar school, he can take it, but in the meantime, the new school looks like it's going to be a bit more of an adventure than starting secondary school usually is. Quite exciting, really, to be one of the first there?

I certainly think that at this stage I would be finding positive things to say about the allocated school, rather than communicating to my DC, whom I consider too immature to have any opinions of his own, that the situation is a complete disaster.

Are any of your local indies even still open this week, to be applied to?

I certainly wouldn't be promoting the line that unless you get into a grammar school, your opportunities as so restricted that your life is blighted forever, which I'm afraid is rather how bits of your post read to me :shock: .

Of course grammar schools get 'excellent results' - you would expect the overall academic results of schools where the pupils are in the top ?30% of the academic ability range to be better than those of schools which have had almost 100% of those students taken off by the grammar schools. It's not as if the two intakes are completely identical and the grammar school work some magic over those who start with low attainment at KS2.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Re: Independent schools for boys near Aylesbury or alternati

Post by Guest55 »

I think the Private schools closed for summer a week ago.

Does your child have a place at the St Michael's annex which is in temporary accommodation? PM me if you prefer. Which Uppers have places and did you appeal for any?