Independent vs comprehensive schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ally99

Independent vs comprehensive schools

Post by ally99 »

Hi

My son is going to year 7 next year, he is preparing for his 11+, but just to be on safe side I have to see the other options as well, and I am really confused :? in deciding which school system can be best, in terms of good education? I have asked a few parents but couldn't find out a concrete reason, why do people send their children to highly paid indepndent schools while same curriculum is taught for free in comprehensive schools?

Are they better in education ? do they give extra attention to your child ? or the atmosphere of independent school can infuse a greater sense of confidence in your child's personality ?

Pls help me in reaching to a conclusion.

thanks.
mad?

Re: Independent vs comprehensive schools

Post by mad? »

ally99 wrote:I have asked a few parents but couldn't find out a concrete reason, why do people send their children to highly paid indepndent schools while same curriculum is taught for free in comprehensive schools?

Are they better in education ? do they give extra attention to your child ? or the atmosphere of independent school can infuse a greater sense of confidence in your child's personality ?
thanks.
You will not get a concrete answer to this question as there is not one. My advice would be that it is it helpful to your decision making to attribute blanket qualities to any part of the education sector. There are good and bad schools in both and the key is to think about your DC and what school suits them best. Whatever you do avoid making decisions based on what others think (yes irony I know) or worrying why other people do what they do.ETA it might be worth moving this out of the English sector, although I am not sure there is one for comprehensives. Sorry typing on my phone.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are lots of reasons so don't focus on others.

Make the decisions that are best for your family. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

If your ds is preparing for his 11 plus then he won't be applying to comprehensives - he'll be applying to grammar schools which are not the same.

Private schools have more money. This means that usually they have smaller classes and sometimes better facilities for certain things like sports etc. In KS3 they are not bound by the NC although for KS4 they will enter dc for either GCSE or IGCSE.

Teaching is, in my opinion, definitely no better and often inferior in the private sector. There are many reasons for this.

Why have you posted this in the English section?
ally99

Post by ally99 »

Sorry I didnt noticed this has posted in English section, I am new to online forums and didnt realised before posting i have to see where I am posting.
ally99

Post by ally99 »

piggys wrote:If your ds is preparing for his 11 plus then he won't be applying to comprehensives - he'll be applying to grammar schools which are not the same.

Private schools have more money. This means that usually they have smaller classes and sometimes better facilities for certain things like sports etc. In KS3 they are not bound by the NC although for KS4 they will enter dc for either GCSE or IGCSE.

Teaching is, in my opinion, definitely no better and often inferior in the private sector. There are many reasons for this.

Why have you posted this in the English section?
Pls can you tell me few reasons of inferior teaching in private sector that would be nice of you. thanks
ally99

Post by ally99 »

mad? wrote:
ally99 wrote:I have asked a few parents but couldn't find out a concrete reason, why do people send their children to highly paid indepndent schools while same curriculum is taught for free in comprehensive schools?

thanks.
You will not get a concrete answer to this question as there is not one. My advice would be that it is it helpful to your decision making to attribute blanket qualities to any part of the education sector. There are good and bad schools in both and the key is to think about your DC and what school suits them best. Whatever you do avoid making decisions based on what others think (yes irony I know) or worrying why other people do what they do.ETA it might be worth moving this out of the English sector, although I am not sure there is one for comprehensives. Sorry typing on my phone.
Thanks for your advice mad, I will make my own decision but comparing the key facts of both schools and this is why I posted to collect info about both schools and sorry for posting in english section, can you suggest how to move it to a relevant section ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:If your ds is preparing for his 11 plus then he won't be applying to comprehensives - he'll be applying to grammar schools which are not the same.
Not if he doesn't pass. Unless they want to reserve the right to appeal a decision not to award him a place.

Also, even a pass (or a 'good score', where there is an order of merit rather than a pass mark) doesn't necessarily guarantee a grammar school place. I must say that my interpretation of the question was 'Comprehensive or indie as a fall back?'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

ally99 wrote: Thanks for your advice mad, I will make my own decision but comparing the key facts of both schools and this is why I posted to collect info about both schools and sorry for posting in english section, can you suggest how to move it to a relevant section ?
I'm sorry I don't know how to move it either :oops: :) . My point is that there are no 'key facts' for both (types) of school. Perhaps if you have particular schools in mind posters may have specific relevant information but even then, what is the right school for one child is not right for another. You really need to go and have a look yourself. Good luck.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

OP- you need to ask a Moderator to move your post for you.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now