Independent vs comprehensive schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Independent vs comprehensive schools

Post by Guest55 »

Private schools are not, in the main, inspected by Ofsted but by an 'in house' system that is far more 'gentle'.

Buyer beware ...
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

ally99 wrote: I have asked a few parents but couldn't find out a concrete reason, why do people send their children to highly paid indepndent schools while same curriculum is taught for free in comprehensive schools?
I think that there are many diverse reasons for parents choosing to send their children to private school, but the main one is probably that they want their child to buy them a Jag... :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-45481438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Surferfish wrote:
ally99 wrote: I have asked a few parents but couldn't find out a concrete reason, why do people send their children to highly paid indepndent schools while same curriculum is taught for free in comprehensive schools?
I think that there are many diverse reasons for parents choosing to send their children to private school, but the main one is probably that they want their child to buy them a Jag... :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-45481438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was pointed out on a local FB group. Someone else pointed out that if they didn’t spend all that money on fees they would be able to buy a Jag for themselves much sooner, so there’s a bit of a flaw in the logic.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:lol: :lol:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

£23,000 a year? :shock: I don't know much about cars but surely that's at least 2 Jaguars over the course of a school life?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
piggys wrote:Shame about your " better class of people" comment, BucksbornNbred, which is downright vile and nasty however you look at it. How dare you?
I know - I just couldn't think of another way of putting it and that is, after all, how many people look at the situtation. All the children I knew that went to our local school were lovely and no lesser children than were sent to the independents (in some cases better). So forgive me not having the right words at the right time - I still don't. Maybe wealthier people with connections? I don't know... maybe someone can express what I am trying to express without it coming over as vile and nasty which was not my intention and why I added not to take it the wrong way. Pleased to see that taking offence at everything is alive and well :roll:
I think I'd stop digging if I were you. There really isn't a good way of describing a "better class of people" or "lesser children" or "better children". I have no idea how you choose to categorise people. Only you can explain what you really mean and I suggest you don't do so on a forum. I don't think it's about people "taking offence at everything", either. I didn't take offence at your turn of phrase, I just thought it was quite revealing and rather ironically, put you in a category in my mind which is not something I'm proud of.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I had stopped digging a hole. I did not respond to the last offensive post as I didn't think it was on topic and had acknowledged I was in the wrong. I may not be university educated or have the right words but my intentions were good.

I think it is time you remember I am a human being, not a robot, and your comments are highly offensive and tantamount to bullying. No wonder few people wish to comment when they are so freely attacked if they don't conform to your ideals. I know it is an open forum which is why I am surprised that regular contributors reduce themselves to the level of twitter trolls.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

We have received several reports about this thread, please remain courteous, members are real peopke with real feelings. I am locking this thread. Please do not attempt to restart this argument.