Bromley high -scholarship value?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Exams2018

Bromley high -scholarship value?

Post by Exams2018 »

Hi all,
DDs music teacher suggested we try for a music scholarship in independent schools. Pls can anyone tell me how much do the scholarships translate to in actual £?

What’s the max % they do ? And for what?

We won’t qualify for means tested bursaries.
ToadMum

Re: Bromley high -scholarship value?

Post by ToadMum »

Exams2018 wrote:Hi all,
DDs music teacher suggested we try for a music scholarship in independent schools. Pls can anyone tell me how much do the scholarships translate to in actual £?

What’s the max % they do ? And for what?

We won’t qualify for means tested bursaries.
The Bromley High School website directs one to the gdst website, where one finds

https://www.gdst.net/parents/bursaries#faq-12

Bursaries range from 30% to 100% of fees; however, the amount of any bursary depends on local demand and the funding available. Sometimes awards of a lesser value may be offered. Pupils who get a full bursary may also get help to meet the cost of their uniforms, lunches and travel.

The values of scholarships vary, but are generally small and more about the honour of the award than the amount given. A scholarship may, however, be supplemented by a bursary.

I think that there is Charities Commission guidance on the maximum percentage reduction in fees that should be offered as a non-means tested award?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Re: Bromley high -scholarship value?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I have heard of ones that come with no direct monetary value but maybe pay for a lesson a week. I’ve also heard of 5% to 10% off fees. They are not substantial. I know of a child at a different school (all boys) who got a 30% scholarship but think that school has ancient endowments that enable them to do this. The challenge with many girls schools if they have rarely been round for hundreds of years with few ancient benefactors or associated land or businesses to help suppprt the bursaries and scholarships.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now