Try CLSB/Habs/Highgate or not?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: Try CLSB/Habs/Highgate or not?

Post by loobylou »

Everyone says APS is a fantastic school.
Your son has not stopped being the bright child you know he is - it's just that there were others who did better those days.
We know a family where their two eldest daughters both did not get through the state selective exams. One went to the local comprehensive (which is very good,), the other - who did better at the 11+, coming in the top 200 at DAO - went to a very selective indie (I don't know how they made their decisions or whether dd1 sat for any Indies). Dd1 is in year 13 and got all A*s at GCSE. DD2 is in year 12 and did very well but less well - mostly 7s, a couple of 8s and a couple of 6s. Dd1 could have gone anywhere for 6th form and has chosen to stay where she is.
Unless your local school is terrible (and some definitely are but APS definitely isn't) then the results will be a lot more dependent on the child than the school.
There are so many great opportunities that you could use the money better for (in my opinion!)
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

HelpNeeded. pm'd you earlier in case you didn't see.
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

Where do I find PMs...
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

Ok. Sorry. Found them - I clearly wouldn’t pass the 11+!
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

Barnetmamma I hope I have managed to PM you back. Thank you.
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

Thank you Loobylou. It would certainly be nice to go on holiday (!) and as I have 3 DSs we would have to be able to manage for all 3.
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

Helpneeded wrote:Barnetmamma I hope I have managed to PM you back. Thank you.
Received :)

A couple of years ago, I read something on the forum that stayed with me. Badly paraphrasing it here:
If you wouldn't be worrying about it in a year's (or some years from now) time, it's not worth worrying about (or something along those lines)... (original poster put it down in a much more eloquent manner than yours truly).

Good luck with whatever you feel is right for your son and your family x
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I scanned quickly through this thread, I have a DC in CLSB and another one in an outstanding co-ed comp, and I am not even bothering with 11+ with our third DC, as I am delighted with the state school. But we also like CLSB. One of my colleague's DC failed to secure a place in a north London grammar, but managed places in sought after independents and even got a part bursary in one of them. In the end they opted for their local comp, his DC is now aiming for medical school, it's all going very well.
It is harder to get a place in a top London grammar than in a selective London independent. All the kids I know who got places in grammars also secured scholarships/bursaries in independents.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is absolutely a lot harder to get into North London grammars than the top selective private schools.

I know of students with very low scores at QE and DAO and who did not get through the first round of Latymer or HBS who got straight into HABs, City, Highgate and St Albans.

I think the pass mark is a lot lower. I have been astounded at the Maths levels that have secured a place, I know of a student last year who got less than 20% in the DAO Maths but got straight into Habs and St Albans.

Obviously there are not as many sitting and many preps do not start serious preparation until this term so those who have prepared for grammar schools are at an advantage.

I can understand the reluctance to embark once again on a path that does not produce a positive result. But success after just missing it really is twice as sweet. You really do appreciate it more.

I would recommend you have a go but it is great to know you have an excellent local backup. Hopefully you will be able to choose. DG
n.w.mum

Post by n.w.mum »

If you are not sure you can afford the fees comfortably then I would say don't go down the private route. You have to take into account (for some schools) lunch fees on top, trips, uniform, exam cost, extra curricular clubs etc etc.... Plus fees go up every year. Even scholarships are not that generous in this part of the country and for some schools the scholarship is reviewed yearly, so don't rely on this either. Some schools lie CLSB have stopped scholarships altogether.

Having said that also my son got 219 at QE but is a academic scholar at a private school. It's not the be all and end all and don't let these results define your DS.