Try CLSB/Habs/Highgate or not?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Helpneeded

Try CLSB/Habs/Highgate or not?

Post by Helpneeded »

My DS has just failed to get into Latymer and QE boys. He didn’t make it to the top 650of Latymer which was a surprise as he had been scoring 90-95% on the GL maths and VR tests in timed practice at home. I now know (since reading this site) that we should have been stretching him a bit more with MGS type papers etc. He is a mid August birthday and panicked (he told me afterwards) when the VR for Latymer was different from what he had been doing. QE was a bit of an afterthought to be honest and he didn’t have any specific prep for it which I now realise was at best a bit naive. He got 218.
So...do we try CLSB, Habs and Highgate? We could just about afford them. I really don’t want to set him up for a further raft of failure. He has been a bit knocked by all this. We have a good local state secondary (APS).
I have always thought DS would thrive in a selective environment but maybe I am wrong. I am even (reluctantly!) willing to admit he may not be sufficiently academic.
Please help.
londonparent123

Re: Try CLSB/Habs/Highgate or not?

Post by londonparent123 »

There'll be lots of choices which are down to you as a family. One thing I know quite a few years down the road of secondary now is that the kids tend to thrive even in the schools which weren't the preferred options.

My son, years ago was on the waiting list for Latymer and hadn't got another one of our top choices. In the end we did look at City and he got in without palaver. So yes - it's certainly possible from our experience not to get into some of the super selective states and get into the likes of City. He did apply to Highgate but didn't get that. Hope this is helpful - and believe me it will all work out in the end, whatever choices you make
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Go for your local state option if it is good.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Guest55 wrote:Go for your local state option if it is good.
Please can you explain your reasons ?
copella

Post by copella »

Go for APS it's a fab school. My eldest who did not pass the 11 plus went there for 6th form. The school is great pastorally and the children achieve well. Where we live in Palmers Green we are not in catchment for any of the better schools, about ½ a mile out from them all. If we lived closer to APS or Ashomole we would never have gone down the selective route. Don't be blinded by the wonderful buildings at the independents. Every year APS does better and with no undue pressure on pupils. I also know the school well due to work and it is felt to be one the best for support.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Justinterested wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Go for your local state option if it is good.
Please can you explain your reasons ?
+1

It's free for one thing! Private schools don't come cheap and you need to be totally sure what you are paying for, which may be swanky sports facilities, bursaries for other children, fancy drama studios etc. If your local school is a good option you will have the advantages of local friends, ease of transport etc. Honestly, people do get hung up on the idea of 'state schools' (which is what grammar schools are after all) but they do the same exams and curriculum as all these other fancy schools, and decent state schools really need their top children to do well as the league table culture by which they live and die depends on it. London sounds like an absolute pressure cooker when it comes to getting children into secondary schools, but the rest of the country gets by without all this stress and palaver, and children still manage to get qualifications, go to university and lead productive lives! Don't get sucked in - if the school is good, local and free, what's not to like? Save your money for nice holidays and if you really are worried, put some aside if you feel you need to pay later. The option is always there in Y9 or at sixth form if you feel you want it by then.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Justinterested wrote: Please can you explain your reasons ?
As Amber says it's free and you can put aside money for other things like help to get on the housing ladder. A good state school will offer local friends and a school that is not run for profit. I don't understand why you would pay if you have a great school nearby.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:
Justinterested wrote: Please can you explain your reasons ?
As Amber says it's free and you can put aside money for other things like help to get on the housing ladder. A good state school will offer local friends and a school that is not run for profit. I don't understand why you would pay if you have a great school nearby.
Totally agree with this but, do you have a good school not just nearby, but that your DC might have a chance of getting into? Often not the same thing in London sadly. If you do then go for it, the best choice by far.
ETA just seen that you think you can get in to APS, in which case no question apart from why were you even thinking of anything else?
ETA are you sure your DC will get into APS?
Last edited by mad? on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?
Yes

Post by Yes »

I don't want advise anyone how to spend money..

My thoughts will be on the other side.
11+ is not only about getting a place in school you want. It is also about fail (that's cruel word for 10 year old child, I know). Are you ready to put your child to another set of tests?

My friend was persuading me to try independents (we could hope only for bursaries). My idea was - if the child could get into grammars (we sat tests for 4 schools) - that means already 4 fails. After it to put him to other trials with high competition... I don't know... Is it not too much for 10 year old child....

Our problem is different - we don't have good local comprehensive, but in your case, APS is good school. CLSB/Habs/Highgate are not too easy to get in...
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I’ve always been a strong advocate of going to local state schools. Odd how dealing with your own children shakes your beliefs. I think deep down I want him to succeed at one of these exams but it’s a risky game to play.
Londonparent123 thank you for the longer perspective. It’s so easy to get caught in a kind of frenzy. And I am very worried about him failing again and again.
And thank you for the insights on APS. Makes me happy! We have been close enough for the last 7 years so DS has a good chance of getting in.
Thanks again.