Holiday revision?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
goocha

Holiday revision?

Post by goocha »

Hi, how much time if any, are other children doing over the holidays before they sit 11+ exams in Jan. I wanted to do a little bit but am not sure how much and what to focus on? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Daogroupie

Re: Holiday revision?

Post by Daogroupie »

This depends greatly on which exams you are sitting and how much preparation you have done already.

If you prepared over the summer for state school exams you will have covered most of the material already. DG
goocha

Re: Holiday revision? for JAGS, Aleyns, CLG, SPGS

Post by goocha »

Hi, My DD is sitting exams in early Jan for JAGS, Alleyns, CLG and SPGS. SHe goes to a prep so they have done a fair number of practice exams but we now have this very long holiday period and I suspect she will begin to forget a lot of what she learned if she does nothing over the break so I was thinking of getting her to do some one practice Maths or English exam or ever other day. Or some 10 minute Bond tests.

Are there any teachers out there or tutors who can give their professional opinion on whether this is a good idea or how much to do? She had the first week of her school holiday off and tomorrow is Christmas so wouldn't want her to do school work then but I may ask her to do a little bit each day after that.

Any other opinions greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion students start going backwards after about two weeks of doing nothing.

Many of the students she is up against will be working so I would recommend that she does too.

What is the success rate of your prep at these school and have you been given any indication of how likely she is to get into any of them?

Which is your first choice?

DG
goocha

Post by goocha »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

My DD is at a prep school so they have been doing regular practice exams at school. Our Head thought DD has a good change atvgetting a place at jags or Alleyns. Alleyns is our first choice. The prep gets approximately 2-3 of their top students into Alleyns each year but it usn’t A particularly academic prep school.

Since giving her a week off, we have been getting her to dobove practice maths paper a day. She isn’t too keen on doing any of the English practice papers the school sent home but may just talk through done with her.

What are other parents doing with their children when there is just 1 1/2 weeks to go befiremost exams?
Mthsnks in advance for any tips.
scotch

Post by scotch »

Good luck to your DD Goocha. We are also doing JAGS and Alleyn's.